Monday, January 28, 2013

Buffalo Chicken Bombs!


I can't just make anything the way it was originally intended.  Oh, no.  I have to go messing around with the recipe and put my spin on it.  If you are a traditionalist, please forgive me.  But I really like to take a recipe and put my individual spin on it. 

Like this case.  People love chicken wings, bone-in or bone-out.  I prefer bone-out, but bone-in is good too.  And, while I haven't perfected my own Buffalo sauce recipe yet, my husband and I prefer the Hooter's wing sauce that you can get in the grocery store.  But you should use whatever you like.

Now, here's where I really jacked up the wing.  I stuffed it with cheese (of course I did).  But it's not ground meat, so the task became a little tricky.  How do I wrap cheese with chicken and make it look like a ball?  Well, I'll give you the brilliant answer that my genius husband thought of.  Wrap it in plastic wrap and freeze it.  That's right, plastic wrap. 

So what I did was cut about three average-sized boneless chicken breasts in half lengthwise.  Then I pounded the meat out a little.  Then you take a sheet of plastic wrap, lay the chicken on it, lay the chesse on it, and gather the plastic wrap up and around it and twist the ends, making sure it looks like a ball and no cheese shows through.  Voila!  A star is born!  Here's the recipe.

BUFFALO CHICKEN BOMBS
3 average-sized boneless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
2 Mozzarella cheese sticks, cut into about 10 pieces
Saran wrap
1 1/2 C flour
2 teaspoons seasoned salt
1 T garlic powder
2 teaspoons pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (optional)
2 C buttermilk
Peanut oil, for frying

Prepare the chicken balls as discussed above.  Freeze at least an hour.  Mix the flour and spices/seasonings in a bowl.

When the balls are frozen, preheat your oil in a deep fryer or deep skillet to 350.  Dip the balls into the buttermilk and then into the flour mixture.  Dip them again in the buttermilk and then into the flour mixture.  Fry until golden brown, 5-8 minutes.  Keep them warm in a 200 degree oven until all balls are fried and chicken is cooked all the way through.

2 comments:

  1. I have made a similar recipe, but chose to grind the chicken and shape it around the cheese. It was easy and I didn't have to freeze the balls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea, Lisa! Thank you for sharing!

      Delete