Thursday, January 3, 2013

Homemade Refried Beans


HOMEMADE REFRIED BEANS
1 lb dried pinto beans
1 onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
4-6 C chicken stock
1 T cumin
1 T chili powder
2-4 T chopped jarred sliced jalapenos
1 T chopped cilantro
1/4 C bacon grease

Drizzle some olive oil in the bottom of your crockpot.  Add all of the ingredients (not the bacon grease) to the crockpot and add enough chicken stock to come up at least an inch over the beans.  Simmer on low for about 8 to 10 hours.  I usually put them on at about 7:30 am and we usually eat around 6:30, and the beans are fine cooking that long.  I freeze the beans in 4 cup containers if I'm using them later.

To make refried beans, In a skillet, melt the bacon grease. Use a slotted spoon to remove about 2 C of the beans from the cooking liquid and transfer to the melted bacon grease.  Mash with a potato masher in the skillet and heat through.  

3 comments:

  1. I am just curious...why drizzle some olive oil in the bottom of the crock pot. I always rinse my beans 1st, have found clumps of dirt & rocks:)) Like you I don't soak them though....that's a waste of time...in my opinion. Will have to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! I usually put the onions in the crockpot first before any other ingredients. While I prepare the rest of the ingredients, I don't want the onions to burn or stick. It may be an unnecessary step, but that's my thought process. You're right that the instructions of cooking beans is to rinse them first. I just have never found a rock or dirt yet. Maybe I should start doing that just in case! Thank you for your comments!

      Delete
  2. If you rinse and soak your beans first, it removes the chemical that causes excessive flatulence, and it enhances the flavor of the beans. In my opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete