Monday, February 11, 2013

A Man's Gotta Eat



Before my husband and I started dating, I had some friends over for dinner and swimming.  He was a friend at the time, so I invited him too.  That particular night, I happened to make Beef Stroganoff, one of the things my mother always made me growing up.  It's a creamy delicious blend of beef, mushrooms, and a wonderful sour cream sauce. 

He actually showed up later than dinner time.  The rest of the people there were swimming.  When he came out, I told him that there was some Beef Stroganoff in the house and he should help himself.  He said he wasn't really that hungry.  My next words to him changed the course of our relationship.  I said, "a man's gotta eat."  That statement, he told me later, was the one that told him that I'm the one for him.  (Ladies looking for a man...remember that line.)

So, a few years later, I suggested that I make Beef Stroganoff for dinner.  That's when the confession came.  He didn't really like it and he fed the meat to the dogs.  I was surprised.  His dislike wasn't for the flavor of the dish or the components, it was the texture of the meat.  He thought it was too tough.  So I let this recipe go for a long while until last week. 

Last week I was going through my recipes to find something for dinner, and I came across this Beef Stroganoff again.  I thought long and hard on how I could make this for him where he liked the meat.  I tried ground beef.  Nope, not right.  I tried Italian sausage.  Still wrong.  Then it hit me...I needed to buy meat that's been tenderized by the butcher.  So, for my last-ditch effort, I headed to the grocery store to buy tenderized meat.

Now, I know some stores carry tenderized beef stew meat, but I couldn't find that.  All I could find was tenderized beef for chicken fried steaks.  So I bought that, headed home, and prepared to win this Stroganoff battle.  And I won!  When I saw the gleam in his eyes and a smile on his face after he tasted, he looked like it was his birthday.  He loved it.  The texture issue was conquered.  Now, my daughter doesn't like the softer tenderized meat.  She prefers it traditionally with cubes of beef.  So go either way with your Stroganoff.

Just remember, a man's gotta eat.

BEEF STROGANOFF
1 onion, chopped
8-ounce package of mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb egg noodles
2 T beef bouillon, or more to taste (I like the paste kind, but powdered works fine too)
1/2 C water
1/4 C flour
1/2 teaspoon pepper
16-ounce container of sour cream
1 stick of butter, divided in half
1 C white wine
1 lb beef for stew meat or 1 lb tenderized beef (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
Olive oil

Cook the noodles according to directions.

In a bowl, whisk together the sour cream, garlic, beef bouillon, water, flour, and pepper.  Taste to adjust for salt and beef bouillon flavor.

In a skillet, melt half of the butter and drizzle in some olive oil.  Over medium-high heat, sear the meat on both sides.  Remove to a plate.  It won't be cooked through.  It just gives it color.

Melt the remaining butter in the skillet.  Cook the onions until tender.  Put the mushrooms in the skillet and cook until browned and tender.  Pour in the white wine and deglaze the pan, scraping up any brown bits off the bottom.  Whisk in the sour cream sauce mixture and return the meat to the pan.  Turn the heat down to medium, cover, and let simmer until bubbly and thickened, about 5 minutes.  Serve over the egg noodles.

*Serve this with my Garlicky Roasted Green Beans under the Sides tab

6 comments:

  1. My BEEF STROGANOFF is almost the same but I use beef tenderloin. Melts in your mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually prefer it with beef tenderloin, Verna, but the hubby has a hangup over cubed meat.

      Delete
  2. I use Rib Eye steak. I brown it in the olive oil over high heat and then remove to a plate covered with another plate to keep it hot. I add it back in last so there isn't enough time for the texture to break down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Glinda! I actually don't think it's chewy at all when I make it with cubed steak, but my husband is just real picky about meat. Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. When you say "mix in sour cream sauce mixture" Is that what you combine in the separate bowl with the garlic, beef bouillon, water, flour, and pepper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Katy! Yes. I noticed that I left the sour cream out of the instructions so I edited it and fixed it. Thank you for letting me know. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete