Sunday, February 17, 2013

Cadillac Queso


My husband is my biggest fan.  He loves the food I cook and gets very excited when I try new things.  He even challenges me to create things he sees on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives or other wow-type food shows.  But he also has his favorites, and this is one of them.  Besides fried chicken, this is his second most-requested thing to make for him...Cadillac Queso.

So you are probably wondering why I called it Cadillac.  The Cadillac is the first American-made luxury car. They have all the bells and whistles you'd expect.  And, since we live in Texas where everything is bigger, the big old Cadillac is seen everywhere since it's a Texas-sized car.  And this queso is like a Cadillac in the sense that it has everything you could want in a queso, and the flavor is as big as Texas.  It has roasted peppers and roasted garlic, serrano peppers, cilantro, heavy cream, and pepper Jack cheese, along with, of course, Velveeta and Rotel.  Although Velveeta and Rotel don't seem like luxury items and some of you may have just turned your nose up, it is a great queso full of flavor.  Texas-sized flavor.  And, as far as the heat level, if your tongue is spice-impaired, don't worry.  Use cheddar cheese instead of pepper Jack cheese.  You can leave out the serranos.  You can use the Original Rotel instead of the hot.  Make it your own.

And the good thing about me making my husband's favorites is not only does he get to eat it, he takes the pictures of my food and he gets to eat the "picture plate," which usually has the best part of whatever I've cooked.

I hope you enjoy it as much as he does.

CADILLAC QUESO
One 2-lb block Velveeta, cubed
2 poblanos
1/2 C shredded Pepper Jack cheese
2 cans Rotel (I use one original, one hot)
1/4 C cilantro, chopped
1/4 C heavy cream
2 bulbs Roasted Garlic (click for my recipe)
2 serranos, chopped

To roast poblanos, put them on a sheet pan and into a 400 degree oven.  Cook them, turning occasionally, until they are black and charred all over.  Let them cool.  When you can handle them, peel as much of the skin off as you can. Remove the stems and seeds and chop them.  Squeeze the roasted garlic out of the skins and chop them.

Put all of the ingredients in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cook in three-minute increments, stirring in between, until the Velveeta and cheese are all melted.  Serve with chips or on eggs, quesadillas, enchiladas, whatever you like.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing! I'll have to make this for my husband during football season:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victoria! This is my husband's favorite. He requests it at least once a week. Of course, he doesn't get it that often! LOL...enjoy!

      Delete