Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Black Beans


I remember, when I was a kid, going to a Mexican restaurant in Dallas with my mother and her friend.  They served these delicious black beans in a little copper pot with tortillas.  I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant, but I can't.  I do remember, however, how much I loved their black beans.  I hope you will try my recipe and love them as much as I do.

BLACK BEANS
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, rough chopped
Olive oil
1 lb dried black beans (you can rinse and drain if you like)
1 T chili powder
1 T cumin
1 Roma tomato, chopped
2 serrano peppers, chopped
2 T bacon grease
Salt & pepper to taste
Water

Drizzle some olive oil in the bottom of a crockpot.  Put the rest of the ingredients in the crockpot and cover with water.  Cook for about 8 hours, making sure to add water when necessary.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful, are you using dried beans or canned beans?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I used dried beans. I will adjust the recipe to reflect that. And thank you so much for pointing that out. I want my recipes to be clear. Let me know if you try it!

      Delete