Monday, May 19, 2014

Homemade Jalapeno Kettle Chips


The Lay's Jalapeno Kettle Chips are my husband's and my most favoritest chips.  I've been thinking for a few years on how I could recreate these chips. Thanks to some creative thinking on my part and a few tips from seriouseats.com on boiling potatoes in vinegar water to remove the starch and keep the chips from turning too brown, I finally have created a chip masterpiece!  I have yet to master the folded chip, but give me time.  I'll get there.

JALAPENO KETTLE CHIPS
6 russet potatoes, sliced very thin (use a food processor or mandolin if you have one)
2-5 T jarred jalapeno slices, chopped (depends on how spicy you want it)
1/2 T salt
1/2 C vinegar
Peanut oil, for frying

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.  To dry out the jalapenos to make jalapeno salt, lay the chopped jalapenos on a sheet pan in a single layer. Cook the jalapenos, moving them around occasionally, for about an hour or until dried out. Process them in a coffee grinder or food processor with the salt and grind to a fine grind.

Put the potato slices in a large pot and cover with water.  Add in the vinegar.  Boil for about 8-10 minutes or until somewhat tender.  Drain them and lay them on a towel to completely dry.

Preheat the peanut oil to 350 degrees.  Fry the potatoes in batches for about 3-5 minutes or until very crispy.  Drain on paper towels.  When they are all fried, put the potatoes in a large zipper bag.  Add in the jalapeno salt and seal the bag, leaving air in the bag.  Shake the chips around until evenly coated.


11 comments:

  1. OMG - what a resource! Many thanks for this labor of love (your site)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! And thank you for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!! I LOVE the jalapeno kettle chips and the sea slat & black pepper, and the sweet onion ...... OH MY - the possibilities :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yummy ! Your site has such great ideas !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  5. Hi there- Do you think it would be OK to bake the chips rather than fry them... after boiling them in vinegar?? Thanks!! Recipe looks amazing by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great question. I have never tried that, so I don't know how it would work out. But, if you try it, I'd love to hear how it turns out!

      Delete
  6. I don't have a mandoline but I do have a food processer from cuisinart eleven cup which blade should I use never knew you could make your own chips they are my favorite snack but so expensive.

    ReplyDelete