Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Just a Little Devilish


I usually proclaim to have a halo at all times.  But sometimes, on rare occasions, I can be a little devilish.  Not really bad, but slightly misbehaving.  One summer, my son and husband declared "Prank Wars" on me and my daughter.  So that little devilish side of me came out.  My daughter and I hung every single flip-flop of my husband's from the tree in the front yard.  Now, if you know my husband, you know that he only wears flip-flops.  Even in the winter.  We were in Albuquerque one year at Christmas time, and someone stopped us to take a picture of my husband with shorts and flip-flops on because they couldn't believe he was wearing that.  And, yes, there was snow on the ground.

Another prank I pulled on my husband is switching out Bud Lite for Pepsi.  It was Memorial Day Weekend, and he had a case of Bud Lite.  If you know what Bud Lite cans look like, they are very similar to Pepsi cans.  I opened the back of the case and randomly traded some of the Bud Lite cans for Pepsi cans.  At first, he thought the packaging company made a mistake, but then he figured out that a devilish little woman was responsible.  He hates Pepsi, by the way.

Now, I'm not sure if it's the devilish side of me or if it's because I'm from Texas, but I love spicy food.  So I created this Chicken Diablo Sandwich to satisfy my spicy craving.  Made on a homemade Soft Pretzel Roll and hints of spice from four different pepper sources, this sandwich is a dream.  Roasted Red Pepper Spread, Deep-Fried Jalapeno Slices, chipotle-marinated chicken, and pepper jack cheese really make this sandwich awesome.  I think you'll love it.

Are you a little devilish?

CHICKEN DIABLO SANDWICHES
FOR THE CHICKEN:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 packet McCormick's Chipotle Pepper Marinade (or 2 T chipotle powder and salt to taste)
1 T garlic powder
1 T onion powder
1 T cumin
1/4 C olive oil
Water to cover

Roasted Red Pepper Spread (recipe to follow)
Deep-Fried Jalapeno Slices (recipe to follow)
4 slices pepper jack cheese
Sliced red onion
Sliced avacado
Leaf lettuce
4 Soft Pretzel Rolls (recipe to follow)

In a large zipper bag, mix the marinade ingredients together and cover the chicken with water and marinade the chicken for at least 2 hours and up to 4 hours.  After removing them from the marinade, bake them in the oven at 350 for about 14 minutes per side.  Melt the pepper jack cheese on the chicken during the last couple of minutes.

To assemble the sandwiches, split the rolls in half and spread on some of the Roasted Red Pepper Spread.  Top with the fried jalapenos, red onion, avacado and lettuce.



ROASTED RED PEPPER SPREAD
8 ounces cream cheese
One 12-ounce jar of roasted red peppers, drained
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons dill weed
2 teaspoons dried parsley
2 teaspoons salt

Mix all ingredients together in a food processor or blender.



DEEP-FRIED JALAPENO SLICES
1 1/2 C jarred jalapeno slices
1 C flour
1/2 C cornmeal
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 C beer, any flavor (I used Corona)
2 eggs
Salt & pepper to taste
Peanut oil, for frying

Mix the flour, cornmeal, garlic powder, beer, eggs and salt and pepper together with a whisk.  Preheat the peanut oil to 350 degrees.  Dredge the jalapeno slices in the batter and fry about 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown.

SOFT PRETZEL ROLLS
1 1/2 C water at 110-115 degrees
1 package of highly active yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
4 C flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 C butter, melted
1/3 C baking soda
Cornmeal
Sea salt
Sesame seeds

Mix the water, yeast, and sugar together in a mixing bowl and let it sit about 5 minutes until frothy.  Add in the flour, butter, and salt.  Mix with a dough hook and knead until it turns into a ball.  Place the dough in a large greased bowl and cover.  Let it rise for at least an hour or until it's doubled in size.

Divide the dough into eight balls.  Place them on a sheet pan sprinkled with cornmeal.  Cover and let them rise at least another hour or until they are the desired size.  (They won't rise much during baking.)

Bring a large pot of water to boil.  Add in the baking soda.  Boil each dough ball for 30 seconds on each side.  Place them on the prepared baking sheet.  Sprinkle the sea salt and sesame seeds on while they are still wet.

Bake them at 425 for about 20 minutes or until well browned on top.

4 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely delicious. I just found your website and have been browsing for the past hour! I can't decide what I want to make first. I'm new to cooking, and I'm really lucky to have stumbled upon your recipes because it's like our taste buds are the same lol. I love love love spicy food, mexican dishes, and some of your recipes are similar to what my Sicilian father makes! I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Danielle! I'm glad you found me. Please let me know if you try anything and how it turns out!

      Delete
  2. Oh this looks so good, I think I just found dinner for tonight. Probably buy the rolls though, just saying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marcia! I don't blame you for buying the rolls. Homemade bread is a lot of work. Enjoy!

      Delete