Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Maybe Just This Time



I don't normally do copycat recipes, but there is one I love.  It's out there everywhere.  It's Chili's Southwestern Egg Rolls.  The recipe is pretty much identical.  My husband loves them, and it's a favorite for when we have "Party Food Night."  Now, I am doing this copycat recipe, sort of. Instead of filling tortillas with the filling and deep frying them, I stuffed bell peppers with them.  And added some smoked gouda on top.  They were fabulous!  And probably a lot healthier too.

The filling consists of chicken, black beans, spinach, jalapenos, Monterrey jack cheese, and green onions.  And the red bell peppers are usually in the filling, not on the outside.  And I was pretty proud of myself for how this came together, seeing as this was the first time I've ever made stuffed peppers.  And, if you're a stuffed pepper fan, I came up with a way to cook the peppers in a much reduced amount of time.  Most recipes I looked at said to cook them for 45 minutes to an hour!  Not necessary here!  So here goes Southwestern Stuffed Peppers.

I want my baby back, baby back...

SOUTHWESTERN STUFFED PEPPERS
3 C cooked shredded chicken
4 bell peppers
3 green onions, chopped
1 C frozen corn
One 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 T minced jarred jalapenos
1 C frozen spinach (the loose kind in a bag)
3 T chopped cilantro
1 C chicken stock
1 T chili powder
1 T cumin
1 T garlic powder
1 C shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
8 slices smoked gouda (I used smoked gouda with chipotle)
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Wrap the bell peppers whole with foil. Bake them on a sheet pan for 15-30 minutes, depending on the size, until they are mostly tender.  The green ones cook faster than the red.  Let cool.

Preheat a large skillet to 350 degrees.  Drizzle in some olive oil and cook the jalapenos and green onions until tender.  Add in the chicken, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and chicken stock.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Add in the spinach, cilantro, black beans and corn.  Cook until they are heated through.  Remove from heat and stir in the Monterrey jack cheese to melt.

Cut the bell peppers in half.  Remove the seeds.  Leave the stems on for presentation.  Divide the filling among the eight halves.  Place them in a casserole pan and lay the gouda slices over the top.  Bake for about 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment