Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Spicy Does It


We really can't get enough spicy food in this house.  I'm surprised we haven't burned holes in our esophagi (yes, that's the plural for esophagus. I had to look it up.) from all the spicy food we eat.  But it's so darn tasty. I've mentioned the story before about how I mixed up about nine different hot sauces and pepper powders to marinate chicken for my husband.  It wasn't pretty.

Another favorite of mine is shrimp.  I love it any way I can get it.  I have loved shrimp since I was in Pampers.  Okay, I probably didn't eat them that far back, but it's been since I was a child.  Fried shrimp, shrimp scampi, grilled shrimp, shrimp boil, shrimp in sushi.  I sound like Bubba from Forrest Gump now.  That's how much I really love shrimp.

Another favorite combination of mine is tomato basil.  So what could be better than to marry some of our three favorite things together?  Nothing, except three can't be married.  Except with food.  So I came up with this Tomato Basil Shrimp recipe that was banging!  Spicy, tomatoey, basiley grilled shrimp.  Pure heaven.  My husband adored this recipe and ate most of it.  And he's not even that big of a shrimp fan.  That's how good it is.

How many kinds of shrimp can you remember from Bubba's list?

SPICY TOMATO BASIL SHRIMP
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined, tail left on (I used Extra Jumbo, 16-20 per pound)
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 T olive oil
One 8-ounce can tomato sauce
2 T red wine vinegar
3 T fresh basil, chopped
Salt & pepper, taste
1-2 teaspoons cayenne

Place the shrimp in a zipper bag.  Add in the remaining ingredients and seal.  Shake it around to mix.  Marinate at least 30 minutes.  Thread the shrimp onto skewers and grill shrimp over direct heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until done.  It goes fast, so don't walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment