Sunday, June 29, 2014

Beautiful Broth


I haven't eaten at a Macaroni Grill in years, since I rarely eat out.  But the other day I remember a dish they had called Shrimp Portofino.  I wasn't sure if they still had it, so I looked at their menu and there it was!  It's a beautiful dish with shrimp, pine nuts, fresh spinach and pasta with a delightful brothy, lemony kind of sauce.  I decided I must make this immediately! Okay, I had to go to the store first for some shrimp.

And what I came up with turned out so good that I could drink the broth all by itself.  It was beautiful!  The shrimp were tender.  The mushrooms were perfectly browned.  The squeeze of lemon juice gave the sauce a fresh taste.  My family and I were sopping that sauce up with the homemade breadsticks I made to go with it.  It was truly divine.  This is not a thick sauce.  It's somewhere between broth and sauce. Don't be worried if it's not thick.  That's the way it's supposed to be.

If you're a shrimp fan, this broth is for you!

SHRIMP PORTOFINO
12 ounces shrimp, deveined and peeled
12 ounces angel hair pasta (I used the little nests)
One 2-ounce bag pine nuts
2 T butter
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
2 C fresh spinach leaves
2 C chicken stock
1/2 C white wine
2 T flour
2 cloves garlic, minced
Juice of one lemon
1/4 C Italian parsley, chopped
Salt & pepper, to taste
Olive oil

Cook the pasta according to directions.

In a small skillet, toast the pine nuts for a couple of minutes over low heat.  Watch them carefully because they burn fast. Remove from heat and set aside.

Preheat a large skillet to medium high heat.  Add in the butter and drizzle in some olive oil.  Cook the mushrooms until tender. Remember not to salt mushrooms until they are browned or they will come out gray and never brown.  When the mushrooms are tender, deglaze the pan with the wine. Cook until most of the liquid is cooked out.  Stir in the flour and whisk.  Add in the chicken stock and garlic. Cook until slightly thickened and reduced.  Taste for salt and pepper and adjust accordingly.  Add in the lemon juice and shrimp. Cook and stir for a few minutes until the shrimp are cooked through. Stir in the spinach, pine nuts, and parsley.  Stir until the spinach wilts slightly.  Serve the sauce and the shrimp over the pasta.

4 comments:

  1. The homemade breadsticks are just to make me look bad! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made it for dinner but used brown rice and quinoa instead of pasta because my hubby is diabetic, it was awesome. Loved the flavor. It is a keeper. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, Wanderlust! I'm so glad you liked it. And brown rice sounds like a great substitution!

      Delete