Sunday, June 30, 2013

For the Meatloaf Fans


Okay.  So either you are a meatloaf fan or you aren't.  I don't think I've met anyone who is on the fence about meatloaf.  A lot of people refer to it as "mystery meat," especially when served in cafeterias.  My husband and I are fans of meatloaf, but my kids aren't.  However, they do eat this meatloaf and love it.

Well, there's no mystery here.  I used ground beef and ground pork and, of course, thick-sliced bacon on top.  And this one is moist and flavorful, especially with a sweet and spicy glaze on top.  I used Cholua for the spicy part.  If you're not familiar with Cholua, it is a hot sauce that comes from Mexico.  If you can't find Cholua, use your favorite hot sauce.  And this is an easy meal to put together.  The cooking time is long, but the end result is worth the wait.

How do you feel about meatloaf?

BACON-TOPPED MEATLOAF WITH A SWEET & SPICY GLAZE
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork
1/2 lb thick-sliced bacon, each strip cut in half
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 C Panko breadcrumbs
1/2 C milk
1 T Worcestershire sauce
One 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 T paprika
2 teaspoons thyme
Salt & pepper to taste
1 C shredded cheese, any flavor (I used cheddar)

FOR THE GLAZE:
1 C ketchup
1/4 C brown sugar
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T dijon mustard
1 T Cholua hot sauce (I used Chili & Garlic flavor)
Salt & pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Mix all the meatloaf ingredients (except the bacon)  together in a bowl.  Shape it into an oval shape onto a sheet pan.  Lay the strips of bacon over the top of the meatloaf.  Bake the meatloaf for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix the glaze ingredients together in a bowl.  After the meatloaf cooks for 30 minutes, brush the glaze all over the top of the meatloaf.  Bake an additional 30 minutes or until the meat is done all the way through.

2 comments:

  1. Can you let your readers know how many persons your recipes serve. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Phil! I made this meatloaf for my family of four, and there was at least one meal for four leftover. I guess it just depends on how much people eat. Enjoy!

      Delete