Thursday, June 6, 2013

I Walk on the Savory Side


I have made it no secret on this blog that I don't eat sweets. Seriously.  I know it's strange, but I just don't crave sweets at all.  I do crave salty and savory things.  I have worked in a restaurant/bakery for almost three years, and I have tasted almost none of the desserts.  And we have a lot of desserts ranging from cakes, cheesecakes, pies, bars, and cookies. Sure, I've taken a quick taste of something here and there just to make sure it was good, but I've never eaten a piece of dessert there.  I have eaten a lot of bacon there and deli meat.  I've also eaten a lot of salads there.  No, I don't just eat bacon.  And don't ask my coworkers about that either.

Last night I made a lovely Chicken Piccata for dinner.  I love cooking with tart lemons and briny capers.  The chicken was moist and tender and the sauce was amazing.  Truly amazing.  Some chicken stock, fresh lemon juice, butter, and capers made for a not so filling yet truly satisfying dinner.  If you can find chicken breasts cutlets, which are thinner chicken breasts, use that.  But, if you can't, you can butterfly 4 chicken breasts into 8 chicken breasts.  Google butterflying chicken breasts or cutting breasts into cutlets if this doesn't make sense.  And, if you love lemons and capers, this dish is for you.

Are you sweet or savory?

CHICKEN PICCATA
8 chicken breast cutlets or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 T butter
Olive oil
2 C chicken stock
One 4-ounce jar capers, drained
1/4 C Italian parsley, chopped
1/2 C white wine
2 cloves garlic, minced
Juice of one lemon
About 2 C flour
Seasoned salt (to taste)
Garlic powder (to taste)
Black pepper (to taste)

If using the 4 chicken breasts, you need to butterfly the breasts all the way through so that you have 8 thin chicken breasts instead of four.  Mix the flour with some seasoned salt, garlic powder, and black pepper.  Dredge the chicken breasts in the flour and shake off the excess.

Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add in the 3 T butter and drizzle in some olive oil.  When the pan is hot, cook the chicken in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until browned.  Remove the chicken to a plate and cover with foil.

Deglaze the pan with the white wine and cook for a couple of minutes to reduce.  Add in the chicken stock, capers, garlic, and the juice of one lemon.  Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium.  Return the chicken to the pan and cover the pan.  Cook for about 5-7 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and reduced by half.  Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley.  Serve the sauce over the chicken.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed a chicken dish in a restaurant in Southern California called Diablo Chicken. I was lucky enough to meet the chef and he shared his recipe. It is almost identical to this one, except that he added some red pepper flakes to his. It gave the dish a little kick. He also seasoned both the chicken and the flour. It was delicious. I use to make it all the time, putting it over Angel Hair pasta. Thanks so much for sharing this one. It reminds me that I haven't made the Diablo Chicken in a while, but I'm going to switch it up and try yours. Love your recipes! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the compliments! I do love spicy food, so I'll have to try the red pepper flakes next time. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete