Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Surprising Myself



Do you ever go into the kitchen to cook dinner and expect good results, but then you are totally surprised when it turns out fabulous?  Sure, dinner is great at my house a lot, but every now and then I get a wow moment in the kitchen.  That's what happened when I made Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo. 

Up until the other night, I had only made Alfredo sauce once many years ago when I was an average cook.  It really didn't turn out well.  I was young and unfamiliar with cooking with cream and making cream sauces.  I'm not sure why I hadn't tried it again, especially since I think I am a much better cook with 20 plus years of cooking experience.  And I have known the components, but I just never got around to making it. But I finally made it, and it amazed me and my husband.  My husband loved it so much he started running around the house waving his arms around and cheering as if the Cowboys won the Superbowl.  Okay, he really didn't do that.

But, seriously, the chicken was great, but the thick, creamy, cheesy sauce was fantastic!  (Scroll back up and look at that decadent sauce in the picture!)  I don't think I've ever had Alfredo sauce in a restaurant that I liked better.  And it's easy too.  No, it's not low fat, but we all deserve a splurge now and then, right?

Go ahead, grab some butter and heavy cream.  You deserve it.

CHICKEN FETTUCINE ALFREDO
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Garlic powder
Seasoned salt (like Lawry's)
Black pepper
1 lb fettucine noodles
2 C heavy cream
1 stick butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
5 ounces shredded Parmesan cheese (a small bag)

Cook the pasta according to directions.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Season both sides of each chicken breast with garlic powder, black pepper, and some seasoned salt.  Lay them on a sheet pan.  Cook them for about 16 minutes.  Then flip them over and cook an additional 12-14 minutes or until done.  Let them rest about 10 minutes, covered, before dicing.

In a saucepot, melt the butter over medium heat.  Whisk in the cream and garlic.  Cook and whisk until thickened and bubbly.  Remove from the heat and whisk in the Parmesan cheese, whisking until the cheese is completely melted.  Serve the sauce over the pasta with the chicken on top.  Garnish with chopped Italian parsley if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment