Saturday, July 6, 2013

A New Family Favorite


It's no secret that my family loves Tex-Mex food.  Seriously loves it.  I've done a lot of enchiladas and tacos, but I haven't blogged yet about burritos.  And, you know me, I have to put my spin on everything.  I couldn't just do burritos.  Since one of my favorite ways to cook is to "smother" things, why not smother a burrito.  My most favorite sauce for Tex-Mex food is from Robb Walsh and The Tex-Mex Cookbook.  It is truly the best Tex-Mex enchilada sauce and the same you would find in any good Tex-Mex restaurant.

I cooked the meat for these burritos in the crockpot so we would have tender shredded beef.  I used the cooking liquid from the crockpot to make the chili gravy.  And I made homemade refried beans.  Gotta love homemade refried beans.  And, of course, cheese.  Wouldn't be a burrito without cheese.  These burritos were so stinkin' good!

There's still two in the fridge.  I shall eat one now!

SMOTHERED BURRITOS
FOR THE MEAT:
1 onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
2 serranos, chopped
A 3-4 lb chuck roast
3 T cumin
3 T chili powder
1 T beef bouillon paste
2 T chopped fresh cilantro
Salt & pepper to taste

FOR THE SAUCE:
1/4 C lard or shortening
1/4 C flour
2 C reserved cooking liquid from the crockpot
Additional cumin and chili powder, if desired

8 flour tortillas
Refried beans (homemade or canned)
Shredded cheese
Black olives (optional)
Green onions, chopped (optional)

Put all of the meat ingredients into a crockpot and about 4 C water.  Cook on low for about 8 hours or until tender.  Remove the meat from the crockpot and cover it to let it rest about 10 minutes.  Shred the meat. Strain the cooking liquid and reserve 2 cups.

Melt the lard in a skillet.  Whisk in the flour to combine.  Pour in the reserved cooking liquid and whisk to make it smooth.  Let it cook until thickened and bubbly.  Add additional cumin and chili powder if needed and taste for salt and pepper.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Pour some of the sauce into a 9 x 13 pan.  Spread some beans down the center of a tortilla.  Top with meat and cheese.  Fold it up like a burrito.  Lay the burritos, seam side down, into the sauce.  Pour the remaining sauce over the tops of the burritos. Sprinkle on some more cheese.  Bake about 10 or 15 minutes or until warmed through and the cheese is melted.  Garnish with black olives and green onions.

5 comments:

  1. Oops! Someone left me a comment here and I hit delete by accident! Please leave me a comment again. I won't delete it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL..well it wasn't me but shredded beef is one of m favorite ways to eat meat..especially anything Mexican.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janie! Let me know how it turns out if you try it!

      Delete
  3. I'm making these for dinner. :) I just got the meat in the crock pot so I'm gonna start it on high for a couple of hours then kick it back to low. The picture is making my tummy growl. I fear it's going to be a LONG afternoon smelling that roast. Haha. Thanks, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good! I haven't had anyone tell me yet whether they like these or not, so I'm excited to hear! Hope you love it and you're welcome, Trixie!

      Delete