Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Everybody's Got One


Do you have a good Chicken Spaghetti recipe?  I know a LOT of people out there have one, and they are all pretty similar.  Most start with boiling a whole chicken, shredding the meat, and making a sauce with cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup and Velveeta.  Some throw in Rotel or mushrooms or shredded cheese.  And they're all good.

So why in the heck should you even consider making my Chicken Spaghetti?  Well, for a couple of reasons.  I used chipotle peppers.  I used only white meat that I poached in butter.  I used mushrooms.  I used fresh tomatoes.  I used garlic (of course I did).  I used chicken stock.  And I used real cream, no "cream of" soups.  Now, please don't get all upset with me now.  I'm not criticizing those of you who use those soups.  They are full of great flavor and very handy and convenient for busy people.  I just seem to have an affinity with making my own sauce.  It does take more time, but I enjoy it.  If you need to save time and effort, I applaud you for still cooking and using convenience products to get you there quicker.

But, back to the spaghetti, this one is rich and full of flavor with a spicy kick.  It isn't that time consuming, but it takes a little bit longer than using the cream of soups for sauce.  And I guess you could sub out all real cheese instead of the Velveeta if you're avoiding that.  If your family won't protest and ban you from the kitchen for changing your Chicken Spaghetti recipe just this once, then please try this one.

I wonder if I can make homemade Velveeta...

CHEESY CHIPOTLE CHICKEN SPAGHETTI
1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2-4 chipotles in adobo, chopped
1 lb Velveeta, cubed
1/2 to 3/4 C heavy cream
1 tomato, chopped
One 8-ounce package mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 stick butter
1/2 C chicken stock
1/2 C Cheddar cheese (or Pepper Jack if you're brave)
1 lb spaghetti noodles

Cook spaghetti according to directions.

In a dutch oven or a large pot, melt the butter and cook the chicken over medium high heat for 3-5 minutes or until cooked through.  (Don't overcook them or they'll be tough.)  Remove the chicken to a plate and cover with foil.

Add the onions, bell peppers, and chipotle to the pot.  Cook until the veggies are tender.  Add in the mushrooms and garlic and cook until the mushrooms are tender and the liquid is cooked out.  Add in the chopped tomatoes, garlic, and chicken stock.  Deglaze the pan for about 2 minutes. Turn the heat to medium and add in the Velveeta and shredded cheese. Continue stirring until the Velveeta melts.  Add in the cream (1/2 C for thicker sauce, 3/4 C for thinner sauce.)  Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in the spaghetti.

10 comments:

  1. Love the addition of chipotle! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jamie! We love chipotle too. Let me know how it turns out if you make it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many mushrooms? It doesn't say in the ingredient list. It sounds wonderful - love that you added chipotle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Thank you, Holly for pointing that out. I fixed the recipe. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  4. Have just been sent this blog by my mum. Love the title! I don't eat much bacon anymore but definitely butter, cheese and garlic (for me I think my 4 food groups would be bread, butter, cheese and garlic!!) :) Looking forward to poking around and reading all the recipes, they look yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Catherine! I'm so glad you found my blog. Please let me know how my recipes turn out for you!

      Delete
  5. Hi, how much pasta was in your recipe? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Thank you for pointing that out. I corrected it. Enjoy!

      Delete
  6. Could my kids eat this or would it be too spicy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Angel! You can leave out the chipotle peppers and just use Cheddar instead of Pepper Jack cheese and it will still be great. My kids eat it, but I've raised them on spicy food. Enjoy!

      Delete