Sunday, July 28, 2013

Red Red Wine


I love using my crockpot, especially in the summer.  It gets so hot here and turning the oven on makes it even hotter.  Plus crockpots are so convenient.  It really does most of the work for you.  Chop a few things and throw them in, add some liquid and seasonings, and turn it on.  And most recipes you usually don't have to babysit.

I love cooking with wine too, mostly because of the great flavor it gives food, but also because the cook gets to take a sip or two.  I have been craving Beef Burgundy for a while now, so why not put it in the crockpot. Beef Burgundy is a dish originating in the Burgundy region of France. The French word for it is Beouf a la Bourguignonne.  But I don't need a fancy-pants name for my recipe.  Beef Burgundy is good enough for me. And it's delicious!  It's beef braised in red wine with pearl onions and mushrooms.  Served over egg noodles, it's a hearty satisfying meal.  The house smelled amazing all day.  My daughter hovered around the crockpot for hours.  I gave her a little push because I thought her feet were glued to the kitchen floor.  She wasn't glued, though.  Perfectly capable of walking away.  So here's the recipe.  I think you'll like this one.

Go put your fancy pants on.  It's time to cook!

BEEF BURGUNDY
4 lb chuck roast, cubed
One 10-ounce bag pearl onions (I used red, but any color will work)
4 carrots, sliced
One 8-ounce package mushrooms, halved
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 C beef stock
2 C red wine (use your favorite)
1/2 stick butter
Cornstarch
Salt & pepper, to taste

For the pearl onions, peel off the skins and cut the root end off.  Put the beef cubes into a large zipper bag.  Add in enough cornstarch to coat and shake the cubes around.  Put the butter in the bottom of the crockpot. Add the beef and remaining ingredients to the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the sauce is thickened and the meat is tender.  If your chuck roast has a lot of fat, you may want to occasionally skim the fat off the top of the liquid.  Serve over egg noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment