Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Venturing Out


Being from Texas, I really haven't tried many kinds of barbecue sauce except for the thick tomato-based sauce we make here.  And I love that sauce.  Slathered on ribs, chicken, in pulled pork, even in spaghetti. Yes, I did say spaghetti.  But sometimes we need to venture out and try new things, right?

My husband is a fan of shows like Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and barbecue competition shows.  He sees something on TV and says, "I want that!"  So we go in search of recipes and try to create those things.  On one of these said shows, he saw something called Western North Carolina barbecue sauce.  It is a vinegary sauce with a hint of ketchup.  Being a huge fan of vinegar, I was on board and headed to the kitchen.  We made the sauce, and boy oh boy it was good.

So recently, while grocery shopping, I found a pork butt on sale and thought, why not.  Let's do pulled pork in the crockpot with Western North Carolina barbecue sauce.  Not only was it darn tasty, it was fall-apart good and so easy to make.  We made ours into sliders, but regular buns would do just fine.  Topped with some tangy, sweet coleslaw, it was a hit!  Our son ate all of the leftovers.  You would think, from my previous posts about my son eating all of something or all of the leftovers, that he should weigh 800 pounds.  But he doesn't.  He's skinny as a rail. Guess he has a hollow leg.

Ready to try something new?  Don't be scared.  I'll hold your hand.

WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA PULLED PORK
1 onion, chopped
8 cloves garlic, chopped
2 C brown sugar
2 C ketchup
1/4 C butter
1/4 C lemon juice
2 T mustard
2-4 T tabasco sauce or hot sauce
2 T Worcestershire sauce
One 7-8 lb pork butt
2 C apple cider vinegar
Salt & pepper to taste

FOR THE SAUCE:
1/2 C sugar
Cayenne pepper, to taste

Put all of the ingredients except the sauce ingredients into a crockpot. Cook on low 8 to 10 hours or until the meat is falling apart.  Remove the meat from the liquid (keep the liquid) and let it rest until it has cooled enough to shred.  Pull (shred) it with your hands or two forks.

Strain the cooking liquid and discard half of it.  Put the reserved liquid into a large pot.  Add in the sauce ingredients and boil about 10 to 15 minutes to slightly thicken and reduce.  Mix the sauce in with the pulled pork.  Serve it on buns with your favorite coleslaw.

2 comments:

  1. oh WOW!!!! This looks and sounds A M A Z I N G !!
    I've seen the NC type on various food shows, but haven't ever tried it. Looks like I must.
    How do you think it would go with a white balsamic, rather than apple cider vinegar? I like super-tangy ;)

    Thanks for once again, posting something that makes my stomach growl =0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! And I've never heard of white balsamic vinegar. Of course, I Googled it right away. I think it would work well. I'm curious to hear how it turns out!

      Delete