Sunday, August 25, 2013

Kitchen Shenanigans


It's no secret that I like to do things a little differently.  I'm living in my own little Cindyland.  And I like it here.  It's a fun place to be.  I think I'm having trouble owning up to the fact that I'm a grownup.  In our house, we carry on and act silly and, well, like we're all kids.  Well, half of us are kids.  The other two just want to be Toys R Us kids.

So why not play with your food.  I know, we were all raised not to.  But I just can't help myself.  So here's my newest crazy recipe.  Ever heard of chicken and waffles?  Sounds crazy, huh.  But what if I told you I made a chicken and waffle sandwich?  I sure did.  With Pepper Jack cheese and brown sugar bacon and a spicy honey mustard sauce.  Yep.  Sounds a little out there, but it was darn tasty.  We were all a little skeptical about it, but that first bite let us know I was right on the money.  Go ahead.  Have your own kitchen shenanigans.  You won't be sorry.

Are you a Toys R Us kid?

CHICKEN & WAFFLES SANDWICH
FOR THE CHICKEN:
1 lb chicken tenders
Buttermilk
Flour
Creole seasoning (recipe to follow)
Peanut oil

FOR THE WAFFLES:
1 3/4 C flour
3 eggs
1 3/4 C milk
2 T pancake syrup
1 T baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

FOR THE SPICY HONEY MUSTARD:
1/2 C mayonnaise
2 T dijon mustard
1 T yellow mustard
3 T honey
Cayenne pepper (to taste)


FOR THE SANDWICH:
Butter lettuce
8 slices bacon
Brown sugar
Pepper Jack cheese slices

Put the chicken tenders in a casserole pan and cover with buttermilk. Add in creole seasoning to taste.  Cover and refrigerate at least an hour. Whisk the honey mustard ingredients together and chill.

For the bacon, sprinkle some brown sugar in lines on a sheet pan.  Place the slices of bacon over the lines.  Sprinkle more brown sugar on the top side of the bacon.  Bake at 350 for about 28-30 minutes.

Mix together some flour and more creole seasoning to taste.  Dredge the chicken in the flour, back into the pan with buttermilk, and back into the flour again.  Fry the chicken in batches until they are golden brown and done.  Keep them warm in a 200 degree oven until they are all done.

Whisk the waffle ingredients together and pour about 2/3 C onto the waffle iron.  Cook about 3 minutes or until done.

Place some Pepper Jack cheese slices over the chicken in the oven to melt. Assemble the sandwiches with the waffles, chicken, butter lettuce, honey mustard, and bacon.

CREOLE SEASONING
2 1/2 T paprika
2 T salt
2 T garlic powder
1 T black pepper
1 T onion powder
1 T cayenne
1 T dried oregano
1 T dried thyme

Mix all the ingredients together and store in a sealed container.

No comments:

Post a Comment