Thursday, August 1, 2013

Nachos Remix


Do you ever go in the kitchen and look around at what you have and think, what if...fill in the blanks.  You know that moment.  I have this and that, what if I made such and such.  I have that moment all the time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  But, when it works, it's pretty darn amazing.

Take, for instance, Buffalo Chicken Nachos.  Doesn't sound too weird, right?  But what if you put refried beans on those nachos?  What if you put feta cheese and pepper jack cheese on those nachos?  What if you used Buffalo chicken flavored chips?  What if you put three kinds of peppers?  What if.  Well, I'll tell you what if.  It was SO GOOD! Surprising flavors came together to create a masterpiece!  So you're a little confused about my thinking, right?  Greek and American cheese, Mexican refried beans, Buffalo chicken...s
ounds a little far fetched, I know.  So let me walk you through my thought process.

First off, the Buffalo chips, well, my husband was responsible for that.  He did the grocery shopping for me that week.  The list clearly said tortilla chips, but he came home with Doritos Jacked Ranch Dipped Hot Wings. Okay.  I can work with that.  Next, most nachos that I've eaten that didn't come from a ballpark have had refried beans on them.  So that was a necessity.  Buffalo chicken is one of our favorite things to eat, so I wanted Buffalo chicken instead of chicken fajita meat or beef.  I was skeptical about the beans/Buffalo mixture, but we tasted it before we assembled the nachos and it works really well.  The pepper jack cheese was there because what's a nacho without melted cheese on it?  And why the feta, you ask?  There is a taco joint in town called Fuzzy's Tacos.  They put feta cheese on their nachos, so by gum so will we.  And I can give all of the credit for the peppers to my husband.  Habaneros, fresnos, and jalapenos, all his idea.  These nachos were so good that I ate enough for 10 people. Not really.  They were so filling that I didn't eat much at all.  But I wanted to eat enough for 10 people.

And now a joke.  A guy goes into a store and steals some cheese.  The clerk runs after him and says, "that's nacho cheese."  I crack myself up.

BUFFALO CHICKEN NACHOS
6 ounces wing sauce, your favorite flavor (I used Hooter's)
2 C cooked, shredded chicken
2 C refried beans (homemade preferably)
Doritos flavored chips or tortilla chips
Crumbled feta cheese, any flavor
1 C shredded pepper jack cheese
Sliced peppers, like jalapeno, fresno, habanero

Preheat the broiler.  Spread the chips out on a sheet pan in a single layer. Top with the beans, then the pepper jack cheese, then the feta and the peppers.  Broil for a couple of minutes or until the cheese is melted.  **Be careful if using the flavored chips.  The flavoring on them will tend to burn if you leave it unattended in the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment