Sunday, August 4, 2013

We Love Tacos


Do you ever watch those shows about food trucks?  My husband and I love watching them and we get a ton of ideas from those trucks.  We've even imagined what our food truck would be like.  We would call it Blondie's Tacos (obviously I'm a blonde and we love tacos), and we would serve all kinds of tacos: pulled pork tacos, Korean short rib tacos, fish tacos, even breakfast tacos.  And they would be those tacos that you have to lean forward to eat because the juice would be running down your arm.  That's when you know you've got a good taco.  I have even pictured in my blonde head about the paint job our truck would have. There would be a cartoon picture of all of us and my hair would be yellow.  We would for sure make our kids work in the truck too. Cheap (free) labor.

So I created another taco that I would most definitely serve from our taco truck.  I have been obsessed with my crockpot this summer since it's so dang hot.  It has been sitting on my kitchen counter pretty much all summer.  I made Shredded Chicken Tacos.  I was a bit skeptical about cooking chicken breasts in the crockpot because I was worried the meat would be dry.  But I knew I had success when I tried to remove the chicken from the cooking liquid and the chicken fell apart.  And, yes, the juice ran down our arms.

You're going to need some napkins.

SHREDDED CHICKEN TACOS
5-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans Rotel (I used one hot, one original)
3 T cilantro, chopped
1 packet Ranch dip mix
1 packet Fajita seasoning
4 C water
2-3 jalapenos, sliced

SERVE WITH:
Flour tortillas
Guacamole
Sour cream
Shredded cheese
Chopped tomatoes
Shredded lettuce

Put all of the ingredients (not the "serve with" ingredients) in the crockpot and cook on low for about 6-8 hours.  Remove the chicken from the liquid and reserve the liquid.  Shred the chicken with a fork or your hands.  Using a ladle, scoop out the tomatoes, onion, and jalapenos from the cooking liquid and add it to the chicken.  I also ladled a couple of ladles of the liquid back into the shredded chicken to keep it juicy. Serve in tortillas with cheese, guacamole, tomatoes, lettuce, and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment