Wednesday, September 18, 2013

A Darn Good Copy


I know there are a multitude of copycat Olive Garden's salad dressing recipes out there.  Trust me, I've tried a lot.  The majority of them include mayonnaise in their recipe, but it just wasn't right to me.  A lot of the recipes also use some type of sweetener, like corn syrup.  But, when I've eaten salad at Olive Garden, I don't taste sweet at all.  I've tried with straight olive oil to no olive oil.  I tried with the mayo and without.  I tried with shredded Parmesan and grated Parmesan.  After tweaking and trying many times, I think this is about as close as you can get.  The flavor to me was spot on!  Give it a try and see for yourself.

ITALIAN SALAD (OLIVE GARDEN COPYCAT)
FOR THE DRESSING:
1 packet Good Seasons Zesty Italian dressing mix
Salt & pepper to taste
1 1/2 C vegetable oil
1 C white vinegar
1 T garlic powder
2 T lemon juice
1 T dried parsley
One 3-ounce jar grated Parmesan (the powdery stuff)
3 T olive oil

FOR THE SALAD:
One 8-ounce bag salad blend with carrots and purple cabbage (I actually used field greens here)
Whole pitted black olives
Slices of Roma tomatoes
Slices of red onion
Whole pepperoncini peppers from a jar
Seasoned croutons

Whisk all of the dressing ingredients together well to combine.  Chill for at least an hour.  Assemble your salad with as much or as little of the salad ingredients as you like and dress with the chilled dressing.

16 comments:

  1. Great Salad Dressing and very easy to make. I will make this again, and again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. Glad it doesn't have sweetener or mayo added!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone have a copycat of the Good Seasons Italian Packet???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha....now that's a good question.

      Delete
    2. It comes (pre-packaged) by the bottled dressing mixes. should be on the top shelf.

      Delete
    3. I stumbled upon this page on pinterest searching for salad dressings and sure enough, also found a copycat version of the mix at this website - http://cincyshopper.com/copycat-good-seasons-italian-mix-recipe-2/
      I'll be giving this a try in the near future! Looks great!

      Delete
  4. Noticed you used a lot more vegetable oil than olive oil in the dressing. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this but I'm assuming it's on purpose, not just to be more economical? I keep wanting to switch it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did use more vegetable oil because I made it first with all olive oil and the flavor wasn't what I wanted and the olive oil was too strong for me. But by all means switch it out if you'd rather have a stronger olive oil flavor. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  5. Yum! I'm so not a fan of mayo and this dressing is awesome.....thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and thank you! Glad you like it!

      Delete
  6. This dressing is delicious! I usually have a good amount left over...how long do you think this will keep for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There isn't anything perishable in it, so I would think it would last quite awhile. As long as it stays in the fridge, I would think it could last at least a couple of weeks.

      Delete