Sunday, September 8, 2013

Not Fast Food


I don't usually eat fast food.  It's not that I don't like it.  It's just that I think food cooked at home is a lot better tasting and a lot better for you. When I was younger, I really loved fast food and ate it regularly.  But, now that I'm an experienced cook, I like knowing what goes into our food.  I do, however, like the concept of some fast food items.  For instance, the Crunchwrap Supreme from Taco Bell.  Now, I've never eaten one, but I've seen a lot of people recreate it on Pinterest.  So I decided to create my own.

So I'm calling this a Double Decker Taco Wrap just because I can call it whatever I want.  It's a flour tortilla with layers of refried beans, a tostada shell, taco meat, nacho cheese sauce, lettuce, and shredded cheese.  Then it's folded up kind of in a hexagon shape and grilled.  Let me tell you, these turned out great.  And the star of the show?  The Garlic & Jalapeno Nacho Cheese Sauce I made.  It turned out so good that I'm going to use that same sauce in many more dishes.  So, if you're like me and prefer home-cooked meals, give this one a try.  They are super delicious!

Yo quiero Cindy's kitchen!

DOUBLE DECKER TACO WRAPS
FOR THE TACO MEAT:
1 lb ground beef
1 packet taco seasoning
1 onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 packet taco seasoning

FOR THE GARLIC & JALAPENO NACHO CHEESE SAUCE:
1/2 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T garlic powder
2-3 T jalapeno slices, chopped (the kind from a jar)
1 lb Velveeta, cubed
2 T flour
2 T cilantro, chopped
1/2 to 1 C chicken stock
3 T butter

FOR THE WRAPS:
2 C refried beans (preferably homemade)
Shredded cheddar cheese
Sour cream
Large flour tortillas
Flat tostadas
Shredded lettuce
Salsa

For the taco meat, cook the onion in a large skillet in olive oil until tender. Add in the ground beef, garlic, and tomato.  Cook until the meat is done. Drain if necessary.  Add in the taco seasoning and the water called for on the taco seasoning packet.  Cook until most of the liquid is gone.

For the nacho cheese sauce, cook the onion and jalapenos in the butter until tender.  Whisk in the flour.  Add in the Velveeta, garlic, garlic powder, and cilantro. Cook and stir to start melting the Velveeta.  Add in 1/2 C chicken stock and stir until the Velveeta is melted.  Add in the remaining chicken stock if the sauce is too thick.  Remove from heat.

To assemble the wraps, spread some beans (about the size of the tostadas) in the center of a flour tortilla.  Lay a tostada on top.  Spread some taco meat on top of the tostada.  Top with cheese sauce, salsa, shredded lettuce, sour cream and cheese.  Don't overfill them so that they will close. Fold the edges of the flour tortilla over the filling and try to make sure none shows through.  You'll have a five-sided wrap.  When they are all stuffed and folded up, melt a small amount of butter onto a flat skillet or grill pan. Grill them on both sides until browned.  Garnish with more cheese sauce, sour cream, salsa, and green onions, if desired.

2 comments:

  1. How do you wrap it? I'm confused on the whole 5 side wrap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diamond, I copied and pasted a picture of a whole one and added it above. Hopefully that will help! Enjoy!

      Delete