Sunday, October 13, 2013

Double Spicy


My husband loves to challenge me to recreate food he's seen on TV or to make the best version of something.  I've told this story before, but I just had to tell it again.  One time my husband wanted some really spicy fried chicken.  I mean REALLY spicy fried chicken.  So I went into the kitchen and made a concoction sure to get his goose.  I found every type of spice I could find and made a marinade with it.  Cayenne pepper, chipotle peppers, several types of hot sauces, Tabasco sauce, you name it.  There were at least nine different types of spice.  I then injected his chicken with this marinade and fried it up.  On his first bite, he was all excited and thought it was the best thing ever.  But the second bite and the third bite, well, that was a different story.  He went pale and started sweating.  His eyes started watering.  He bolted into the kitchen for water.  I guess I won the challenge.

Now, this is another spicy chicken, but it's not quite as deadly.  It's Blackened Chicken with Cajun Fettuccine Alfredo.  It was so tasty, and the spice was perfect.  Even our son ate it and the leftovers the next day. And, with a perfect Alfredo sauce, this dish is great for those of you who are fans of spicy food.

I promise this won't make you sweat.

BLACKENED CHICKEN WITH CAJUN FETTUCCINE ALFREDO
FOR THE CHICKEN:
1 T garlic powder
1 T onion powder
1 T thyme
1 T paprika
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons oregano
1/2 stick butter
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

FOR THE FETTUCCINE:
1 lb fettuccine
2 C heavy cream
1 stick butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
5 ounces shredded Parmesan cheese (a small bag)
1-2 T Cajun seasoning (recipe to follow)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  For the chicken, mix all of the spices and seasonings together in a bowl.  Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Dredge the chicken in the spice mixture.  Cook the chicken in the butter about 3 minutes on each side or until browned well. Remove the chicken from the pan and put it on a sheet pan.  Bake it in the oven for about 10 minutes or until done through.

Cook the pasta according to directions.

In a saucepot, melt the butter over medium heat.  Whisk in the cream and garlic and the Cajun seasoning.  Cook and whisk until thickened and bubbly.  Remove from the heat and whisk in the Parmesan cheese, whisking until the cheese is completely melted.  Mix the Alfredo sauce with the fettucine and serve the chicken over the top.

EMERIL'S CREOLE SEASONING
2 1/2 T paprika
2 T salt
2 T garlic powder
1 T black pepper
1 T onion powder
1 T cayenne
1 T dried oregano
1 T dried thyme

Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container.

8 comments:

  1. Tried three of your recipes this week but this was the clear favorite. Restaurant quality for sure. Excellent. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Greg! I'm so glad you like it. It's one of our favorites, too! I'm so glad you are trying my recipes. Thank you for letting me know!

      Delete
  2. I made this tonight and it was delicious, but SUPER spicy! Next time, I think I'll use the seasoning for the chicken or sauce, definitely not both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! It is spicy, but my family can't seem to get enough spicy food. Thank you for letting me know!

      Delete
  3. This was DELICIOUS! I made it with angel hair pasta and it was just perfect. I also used the cajun seasoning recipe again today on salmon and it was great! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, Stephanie! This is a favorite of my son and husband! I'm so glad you liked it, and thank you for letting me know!

      Delete
  4. What are you suppose to do with the emerils creole seasoning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Under the fettuccine ingredients list, it says 1-2 T of Cajun seasoning. That's where the Creole seasoning is used. Sorry for the confusion. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete