Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Food Love


I love spinach.  I love spinach and artichokes.  I love spinach, artichokes, and cheese.  My husband loves pasta.  My husband loves pasta with chicken.  Do you see where I'm going with this?  Chicken Florentine Pasta.  I really didn't expect this to turn out as good as it did, but I was very surprised at how darn tasty it is. 

Now, my husband thinks he doesn't like artichokes.  If they are big enough, he will go to great lengths to pick them out.  But, just this one time, he ate them.  That's how good this pasta is.  If you have a picky eater, sure, you can leave them out.  Or maybe you can just cut them into itty bitty tiny little pieces and they won't notice.  Either way, everyone will enjoy this pasta.  I promise.  

CHICKEN FLORENTINE PASTA
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T butter
One 10-ounce bag fresh spinach
3 C cooked, shredded chicken
One 15-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained
1 lb pasta (any shape)
One 15-ounce container of ricotta
2 C shredded Mozzarella
1 C shredded Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 C half & half
1 C chicken stock

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Melt the butter in a large skillet on medium high heat.  Drizzle in some olive oil and cook the onion until tender.  Add in the mushrooms and cook until browned and soft.  Add in the chicken, garlic, ricotta, artichokes, chicken stock, and half and half.  Stir until the ricotta is well combined.  Stir in the spinach and cook a minute or two to wilt it down. Turn to medium low and stir in the Parmesan cheese.  Cook and stir until the sauce is thickened and Parmesan is melted.  Mix this mixture with the pasta and pour it into a 9 x 13 pan.  Sprinkle the Mozzarella all over the top and brown under the broiler.

2 comments:

  1. Just finished making this dish minus the chicken. It was very good, the entire family loved it. Had all ingredients on hand except the chicken and we didn't miss it one bit! Stumbled across this recipe on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Thank you for letting me know. I think it's great that you made it without chicken. It gives my followers options to omit the protein if they want to.

      Delete