Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Perfect Fried Rice


In the past, I've struggled with making rice, especially fried rice.  I seem to have a handicap when making rice.  It's either too mushy, crunchy, or a combination of both.  I've since resorted to using the boil in bag rice, which I find works perfectly.  By all means, make the rice itself however you like best.  And I found that the secret to making fried rice is to do it in reverse order from the way I used to do it.  I used to put the rice in the pan first, then add the veggies, and try to cook the egg last.  It was good about 50 % of the time.  I think you'll find that my new method works perfect every time.  Use as much or as little soy sauce as you like, and the Sriracha is optional.  And, if you have some leftover cooked shrimp, pork, or chicken, you can add that in with the rice as well.

PERFECT FRIED RICE
4 cups COLD cooked white rice
5 eggs, beaten with a splash of water
4 green onions, sliced
1 C frozen peas
1 C frozen corn
Vegetable or olive oil
Sesame oil
Soy sauce
Sriracha hot sauce

Drizzle a generous amount of vegetable oil or olive oil into a large skillet or wok.  Add in about a tablespoon of sesame oil.  Cook the peas and corn for a couple of minutes to heat through.  Push the veggies to the outer edges of the skillet.  Next add in the beaten egg and scramble the eggs.  Then add in the rice and soy sauce and Sriracha to taste.  You will need to taste it a couple of times to make sure you have enough soy sauce. When the rice is warmed through, remove from heat and stir in the green onions.

1 comment:

  1. I love this method! I usually add a bigger variety of Asian vegetables.

    ReplyDelete