Sunday, October 13, 2013

Perfect Tempura


Ever go to a Chinese restaurant and order Sweet & Sour Chicken?  In my experiences, unless it's a higher end Chinese restaurant, the tempura batter is heavy and greasy.  I usually wouldn't order that or take it from the buffet for that very reason.  I really don't like those buffets anymore anyway.  The last one I went to was dingy, dirty, and I questioned whether I should really be eating the food.

But, over the last several years, my husband has challenged me to make lots of Chinese dishes.  And I think I've done a pretty good job with them because he and the kids eat it all.  They have even mastered the art of using chopsticks.  This tempura batter is so light and crispy and wasn't greasy at all.  Paired with my simple homemade Sweet & Sour Sauce, this made for a great meal.

Can you use chopsticks?

SWEET & SOUR CHICKEN
FOR THE CHICKEN:
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch strips
2 eggs
2 C cold water
2 C flour
2 T cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
Peanut oil (for frying)

FOR THE SAUCE:
1/2 C pineapple juice
1/2 C orange juice
1/4 C rice wine vinegar
1/4 C soy sauce
3/4 C brown sugar
2 T cornstarch
1 C ketchup

For the sauce, whisk all ingredients together in a pot.  Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer about 10 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.  Chill.

Whisk the eggs, water, flour, cornstarch, and baking soda together. Preheat the peanut oil to 350 degrees and preheat your oven to 200 degrees.  Dip the chicken in the batter and fry in batches until golden, about 2-3 minutes.  Remove them from the oil to a plate lined with a paper towel. Place them on a sheet pan and stick them in the oven while frying the rest.  Serve with the Sweet & Sour Sauce.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet & Sour Chicken is a favorite around here Cindy. I just never seem to get that batter right!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    P.S. Good Luck with that husband challenge. I'll be posting some Chinese recipes for National Pasta Month as soon as my post is done:) Back to work, lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Louise! I'll definitely be looking for your posts!

      Delete