Sunday, October 20, 2013

Texas Fiesta


How much do you love Taco Salad?  Well, I love it a lot.  When I was a kid, my mom would make a Taco Salad with Doritos, beans, taco meat, lettuce, and Thousand Island Dressing.  I used to really love that!  I tried it again as an adult, and I didn't love it as much.  I think it was the Thousand Island Dressing.  Don't get me wrong, I'll eat that dressing any day of the week with a Reuben sandwich.  But it just didn't give the salad the right Tex-Mex flavor.

So I did what I always do.  I changed it.  I'm calling this a Texas Cobb Salad.  This salad is amazing!  I made some homemade Chipotle Ranch Tortilla Chips and my own Fiesta Ranch Dressing.  Rows of taco meat, tomatoes, beans, avacados and yum!  It's a fiesta in your mouth!

Bring on the mariachi band!  It's time to eat!

TEXAS COBB
FOR THE SALAD:
1 lb ground beef
1 packet taco seasoning
Leaf lettuce
Ranch Style Beans, drained and heated
Chopped avocados
Chopped tomatoes
Black olives (I found some jalapeno flavored olives!)
Jalapeno slices (the kind from a jar)
Shredded cheddar cheese
Tostada bowls

FOR THE TORTILLA CHIPS:
1 packet Ranch dip mix
1 T chipotle powder
8 corn tortillas, cut into little squares
Cooking spray

FOR THE DRESSING:
1 packet Ranch dip mix
1 T cumin
1 T garlic powder
1 T chili powder
1 T chipotle powder
1/4 C ketchup
1 C mayonnaise
1 C buttermilk

Cook the ground beef until browned.  Drain if necessary.  Add in the taco seasoning and the amount of water called for on the packet.  Cook until most of the liquid is cooked out.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Mix the Ranch packet with the chipotle powder in a zipper bag.  Spread the tortilla squares out in an even layer and spray generously with the cooking spray.  Bake until they are all crunchy, stirring occasionally.  Immediately after the tortillas come out of the oven, put them in the zipper bag and shake to coat.

Mix the dressing ingredients together in a food processor or blender. Heat the tostada bowls according to package directions.

To assemble the salad, put some lettuce in one of the tostada bowls.  Place the tomatoes, avacados, taco meat, beans, cheese, and tortilla strips in rows over the salad.  Garnish with the black olives and jalapenos, if desired.  Serve with the dressing.

1 comment:

  1. I love a good Taco Salad! We always put Catalina dressing on ours though. My hubby likes a Taco Sauce/Sour Cream mixture on his. Will be trying your new and improved recipe for sure!

    ReplyDelete