Sunday, October 6, 2013

Tomatoes & Tortellini


I love soups, especially this time of year when the evenings are chilly and the nights start getting cold.  At the restaurant where I work, I love it when we have Tomato Bisque.  It's great with a grilled cheese sandwich. When I was younger, I wouldn't have touched this soup.  But, as I get older, my tastebuds have matured and I enjoy most foods.  When my mother would cook when I was a kid, I would sit and pick out every single bit of onion I could find before I would take a bite.  Now I cook with onions all the time.

And here's a random funny story that just popped into my head.  One time when I was a kid, we were at a Mexican restaurant.  Now, I have a fondness for salt.  So, when they brought the basket of chips, I grabbed the salt and would salt each individual chip I ate.  I bit into one chip, and the salt went up my nose!  I had a ridiculous sneezing fit.  After that, for a couple of years, I would still salt those chips, but I would put my hand under my nose to block the potential salt shooting into my nose.  I imagine I looked pretty goofy.

Anywho, back to the soup.  My husband is a huge pasta fan.  He will pick pasta over most other suggestions for dinner, if given the choice.  So, me with my wild ideas, came up with this soup to please us both.  Tomato Bisque with Tortellini.  And, boy howdy, was it good.  And really quick, too!

So, without further adieu, I give you greatness.

TOMATO BISQUE WITH TORTELLINI
2 T butter
1 onion, chopped
One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
2 ounces fresh basil, chopped
2 T Italian parsley, chopped
2 C heavy cream
1/2 C chicken stock
1/4 C flour
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb tortellini, any flavor (I used both cheese and sausage filled)
Chili flakes, to taste
Salt & pepper, to taste

Cook the tortellini according to package directions.

In a dutch oven or large pot, cook the onion in the butter and a drizzle of olive oil until tender.  Whisk in the flour.  Add in the chicken stock and whisk.  Add in the heavy cream and garlic and whisk.  Cook until it starts to bubble.  Add in the tomatoes, salt, pepper, and chili flakes.  Cook until heated through.  Remove from heat and stir in the basil, parsley, and drained tortellini.

8 comments:

  1. Just caught this on facebook... yum! trying it this week! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Please let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
  2. This was really yummy and the family liked it! I didn't have heavy cream so I used half and half and whole milk. I also added some grated parmesan cheese. Thanks for the recipe.. it's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it, and you're welcome! Thank you for letting me know!

      Delete
  3. I found this on Pinterest. Made it tonight. I used 1C heavy cream + 1 C fat-free half-and-half. This was SOOOOO good! My husband, teen sons, and myself scraped the pot CLEAN! It fed 6, with some bread on the side. This was a real winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, great, Christine! I'm so glad your family liked it. Thank you for the compliment!

      Delete
  4. I found this today and already made it with a few changes to veganize it for me. I used soy milk, veggie stock coconut oil and whole wheat noodles and well yummmmm! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, AlwaysJoy! I'm so glad you liked it and were able to adapt it for your diet. Thank you for letting me know!

      Delete