Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Yes, I'm From Texas


If you are one of those people who follow the firm belief that Texas chili doesn't have beans, please don't shoot and avert your eyes now!  Yes, I know Texas chili isn't supposed to have beans.  But I happen to love beans and I especially love them in my chili.  I hope the State of Texas doesn't evict me for this.  I just tend to do my own thing and don't follow a lot of rules when it comes to food.  I apologize to my fellow Texans for being so mischevious and breaking the rules.  I also...gasp...sometimes put a beer in my chili.  I know, the beer goes in the cook, not the chili.  But sometimes I'm just in the mood for that.

Now that that's out of the way, this is my Darn Good Chili.  It has a surprise ingredient that thickens it up at the end...masa harina.  If you don't know what that is, it's corn flour used for making corn tortillas.  It gives the chili a great flavor and the thickness you'd expect from a good chili.  And, yes, it has beans.  Three kinds of meat, spicy jalapenos and serranos, and lots of chili powder make this a favorite around my house.  And the best part?  It cooks in the crockpot.  Sure, there's a little browning of meat, but other than that the most work you'll do is chop up some veggies.  It's darn tasty!

DARN GOOD CHILI
1 lb ground pork
1 lb ground beef
1 lb chuck roast, cubed
1 onion, chopped
8 cloves garlic, chopped
2-3 fresh jalapenos, seeded and chopped
2-3 serrano peppers, chopped
2/3 C chili powder
One 8-ounce can tomato sauce
3 T cumin
3 T garlic powder
1 T oregano
2 T paprika
8 C beef stock
Salt & pepper, to taste
One 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained
One 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained
One 12-ounce beer (optional)
1/2 to 1 C masa harina (depends on how thick you want it)

Brown the ground beef and the ground pork.  Drain if necessary.  Put this mixture in the crockpot.  In the same skillet, quickly brown the cubed roast meat on high.  Don't cook it all the way through.  You just want some color on it.

Place all of the ingredients except the beans and masa harina into a crockpot.  Cook on low for about 6-8 hours or until the roast meat is tender.  In the last hour of cooking (about the time when the roast seems like it's almost tender), add the beans into the crockpot.  Ladle about two cups of the liquid from the crockpot into another bowl.  Quickly whisk the masa harina into the liquid until smooth.  Return the mixture to the crockpot and stir until combined.  Finish cooking for the final hour.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for this recipe!!!! I have been looking for a chili recipe without beans and this looks perfect! I will follow and just omit the beans and the masa harina...will find another non-grain thickener. I cannot wait to try!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Debbie! Let me know how it turns out. I'm especially interested in what you use in place of the masa harina!

      Delete
    2. try tomato paste

      Delete
    3. Tomato paste will work great. It will change the flavor to a more tomato-ey flavor. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Cindy this sounds amazing! And spicy! I like that in a chili. I can't wait to try it. The blend of meat sounds delicious too! Thank you for sharing it with all of us! Have a lovely evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise! I hope you enjoy it, and you're welcome!

      Delete
  3. What is Masa Harina? Is it easy to find?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Masa harina is corn flour. It's used to make corn tortillas and the dough on tamales. It is found in the same place you would find flour. It probably depends on where you live, but I think it's a pretty common item.

      Delete
  4. Cindy, I am working on this right now! :-) Please clarify if your capital T means tablespoon or teaspoon for me? Also, I realized that my crock pot is probably smaller than what you use so I am "halfing" the recipe. :-) I cannot wait for it to be ready!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Debbie. T is tablespoon. I'm so glad you're trying it. Please let me know how it turns out!

      Delete