Sunday, November 24, 2013

Can't Get Enough Pasta


I feel like I've been bombarding y'all with pasta recipes.  But pasta is a favorite around my house, and it gets requested a lot.  So here I go again with another one.

One of my favorite veggies to eat are mushrooms.  I love mushrooms, raw, sauteed, fried, stuffed.  My husband wouldn't touch a mushroom until he met me.  The first time we grilled steaks together, I made Sauteed Mushrooms and Steak Butter and  Creamed Spinach (I know, that's a lot of links).  And he loved it!  He wouldn't eat spinach before then either.  But now he's a changed man and asks for mushrooms and spinach with steaks every time.  He'll even eat mushrooms raw when I cut them up to cook.  

He also loves pasta, especially thin pasta.  So I created this one with those things in mind.  Now, I'm going to call this Angel Pasta.  Why, you ask? Well, Pasta with Chicken, Spinach, Mushrooms, Asiago, Parmesan and Mozzarella is just too long of a title.  And it has angel hair pasta, so why not. My husband says to me all the time, "you're an angel."  So it just fits together.

Do you eat 'shrooms?

ANGEL PASTA
2-3 C cooked, shredded chicken
8 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
1/2 C red onion, chopped
5 ounces fresh spinach
2 C half & half
1/4 C butter
Olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 C chicken stock
1/4 C flour
1/4 C shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/4 C shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 C shredded Asiago cheese
Salt & pepper
1 lb angel hair pasta

Cook the pasta according to directions.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Drizzle in some olive oil.  Cook the onion and mushrooms until tender.  If you're going to salt the mushrooms, wait until they are well browned.  Otherwise, you will have gray mushrooms instead of brown ones.  Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and onions and stir to coat.  Add in the chicken stock and whisk.  Add in the half and half and garlic.  Whisk well.  Cook until thickened and bubbly.  Remove from the heat and stir in the cheeses and spinach.  Continue stirring until the cheese is melted and the spinach is wilted.  Stir in the chicken and taste the sauce for seasoning.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Toss the chicken and sauce with the pasta.

4 comments:

  1. This is yummy! It is a good use for leftover Chicken and all the flavors blend well. This is one I will save.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good, I have all the ingredients on hand, but must make thanksgiving sides first, or i would have called it breakfast!

    ReplyDelete