Sunday, December 15, 2013

Pizza Pleaser


My family loves pizza, but then again, most families probably do too.  While takeout pizza is good, it gets pretty expensive to feed a family of four that includes two teenagers.  It's a lot cheaper to make it yourself and you know what goes into it.

So I made something that I saw on Pinterest...a lot.  I tried to find where this recipe came from, and it seems to be a Pampered Chef recipe.  It's being called "Bubble Up Pizza," but I'm just going to call it Biscuit Pizza because that's what it is.  

I always have some homemade marinara sauce on hand. Here's my recipe for Basic Marinara.  You can use the jarred stuff or even that pizza quick stuff for convenience.  But, if you can make your own, it's always much better.  

You can really do what you want as far as toppings go here. I found some little mini pepperonis that I used and I also used some Italian sausage.  My family really loved this.  Pay attention to the cooking temperature.  I tried it the first time at a lower setting, and we had pasty dough instead of a crust.  I think your family will enjoy this, especially if you have kids.

BISCUIT PIZZA
One can Grands biscuits, 8 count
2-3 C Basic Marinara (depends on how saucy you want it)
Red chili flakes, to taste
5 ounces pepperoni
1/2 lb Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
8 ounces shredded Mozzarella
1/4 C shredded Parmesan cheese
Chopped Italian parsley, for garnish

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Cut each biscuit into fours. In a large bowl, toss the biscuits around with the marinara sauce, red chili flakes, the pepperoni, and the sausage. Put the biscuit mixture into a casserole pan (you can use a cas iron skillet or even a bundt pan) where they can slightly touch but aren't crowded together tightly.  Bake for about 30 minutes or until the biscuits have puffed up well and are done through.  Sprinkle the cheeses on top and broil for a couple of minutes to melt.  Garnish with parsley, if desired.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I really like your blog. You make things from scratch but you don't overdo it on making it "healthy" -- just the way I like to cook. I want to eat all of your recipes! I wanted to tell you that and also ask about this pizza. Would homemade biscuits work? And since you're tossing the toppings with the crust, don't some of them end up on the bottom and get burned/wasted? How does the crust compare to regular yeast crust? Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tori! Thank you so much for the compliments! I think homemade biscuits would work great. I would just watch them more on the cooking time since I'm not sure how long they would take. I didn't notice any of the toppings burning on the bottom. You could just lay them on top if you like. The crust doesn't taste like a yeast crust, but we still really enjoyed it. And you're welcome! Please let me know how it turns out, especially if you use homemade biscuits!

      Delete