Sunday, December 8, 2013

Please Copy Me!


As you may well know, I'm a huge Pinterest fan.  I am kind of obsessed and look at it every day.  There is just so much great stuff there, and collecting it into my own little "file box" is genius.  I wish I had thought of it.  And what's interesting about me and Pinterest is I almost always only look at the Food & Drink category.  I know, I'm missing out on a lot.  But much of my life revolves around food.  I work in a restaurant and am with food all day.  I cook nearly every night.  I blog about food as much as I can.  I research recipes on line almost every day.  I watch shows about food.  Wow, I need to get a life.

Anywho, I've seen a lot of pins about this copycat Outback recipe, Alice Springs Chicken.  Now, I have to confess that I have only eaten at Outback Steakhouse twice in my entire life.  And I've never had this Alice Springs Chicken.  But all the pins on Pinterest piqued my interest.  There are a few variations out there, so I decided to take a look at this.  Their menu says it's wood-fire grilled chicken topped with mushrooms, bacon, and cheese.  Now, I don't have a wood-fire grill, and it was too cold outside the night I made this to cook it on a regular grill.  I found someone's version on Pinterest (I can't remember which one, I'm sorry) where they browned the chicken in the bacon grease.  Now we're talking!  


So I created my own version of this and changed it up a little. I added onions and switched up the cheese.  But the star of this dish is the sauce.  Oh my, the sauce.  I added more sauce than most recipes I saw.  I poured the honey mustard goodness down over the chicken before I smothered it with bacon, mushrooms and cheese.  Then, when we ate it, we scooped up some of that sauce in the pan and poured it over the chicken.  It was touchdown tasty!   Sorry, the Cowboys play tonight, and I have football on the brain.


Get to the peak of my post and take a peek at what piqued my interest.


ALICE SPRINGS CHICKEN

1/2 C brown mustard
1 C honey
1/4 C mayonnaise
1 1/2 teaspoons Lawry's seasoned salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
Cayenne pepper, to taste
8 slices bacon
1/2 C chopped red onion
8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
8 slices Pepper Jack cheese

Cook and crumble the bacon and drain, reserving the bacon grease.  Quickly brown each side of the chicken breasts in the bacon grease and set aside.  You won't be cooking the chicken all the way through, just giving it some color.  Add the onions and mushrooms to the same skillet and cook until tender.  


Meanwhile, mix the mustard, mayo, honey, Lawry's, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper together with a whisk.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Put the chicken breasts into a glass casserole pan.  Pour the sauce over the chicken. Place a pile of the onions and mushrooms on top of each chicken breast.  Do the same with the bacon.  Lay two slices of Pepper Jack cheese over each chicken breast.  Cook for about 20 minutes or until chicken is done all the way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment