Monday, January 13, 2014

They Grow So Fast


If you have kids, you are going to relate to this post, especially if those kids are teenagers.  We have two of said teenagers, both of whom we are very proud of.  But, as I reflect back on my time with them, I wonder where the time went.  Our daughter is almost 16 years old and is about to be driving.  If I weren't so blonde, I would probably have a head of gray hair right now.  Our son is 13 and tall.  Very tall.  Not freakishy tall, but, for a 13 year old to be 5'7" tall, that's tall. He's almost 2 inches taller than me.  I have the smallest feet in the house.  I am the shortest person in the house.  It's a rather strange feeling to look up to a child to scold them. And his voice?  Wow...I come home and some strange man with a really deep voice says, "hey, Mom."  

I look at them both and wonder what happened to those two little curious, trusting, loving, imaginative little children and realize those days are gone.  I have near adults on my hands.  While I look forward to my days with my husband and being able to do what we want with reckless abandon, like get crazy and stay up til 11:00 watching a movie (ha ha), I do feel nostalgic about those early days with the kids and know I will forever miss that time.

Now, my son is a huge fan of BBQ.  It's his favorite wing flavor.  He loves it on chicken.  He loves ribs.  I think he could put BBQ sauce on his cereal and be happy.  This is a recipe that I recreated with him in mind.  It's a copycat recipe, and I'm sure you've seen it on Pinterest.  If not, there are a lot of copycat recipes out there for Chili's Monterey Chicken.  It's a grilled chicken smothered with BBQ sauce, three cheeses, tomatoes, and bacon.  Now, I didn't grill mine because it's cold outside.  I baked it instead.  And, if you know me, you know I have to put my spin on everything.  So I added my Avocado & Jalapeno Ranch Sauce.  And, to me, this chicken was screaming for some jalapeno slices, so I added that too.  The result?  My giant son loved it.  And that strange voice from some man said, "hey, Mom, this is really good."

MONTEREY CHICKEN
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 C Chipotle BBQ Sauce (or your favorite)
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
3 green onions, sliced
1/2 C shredded Pepper Jack cheese
1/2 C shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 C shredded Cheddar cheese
2-3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
Jalapeno slices (the kind from a jar)
Avocado & Jalapeno Ranch Sauce

Preheat the oven to 350.  Lay the chicken breasts on a sheet pan.  Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper, as desired.  Bake for about 16 minutes.  Remove them from the oven and brush the BBQ sauce generously on both sides of the chicken.  Turn the chicken over and cook for an additional 12-14 minutes or until done.  During the last five minutes of cooking, sprinkle the bacon, cheese, tomatoes, and jalapeno slices over each piece of chicken.  Return to the oven to finish cooking the chicken and melt the cheese. Garnish with the green onions and Avocado & Jalapeno Ranch Sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment