Sunday, February 23, 2014

Good Stuff


One of my all-time favorite movies is Overboard.  It's a movie starring Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell.  It's about a not very nice woman who falls off of her yacht and gets amnesia. Kurt Russell, who did some carpentry work for her yacht, finds her and tells her she is his wife.  It's a hilarious movie, and I could probably recite the whole thing for you.  Anywho, one of my favorite lines in the movie is when, back on the yacht, she pops open a beer and takes a drink and says, "Good Stuff." If you haven't seen it and like older movies, this one is the one to watch.

So, when I set out to make this slaw, I wanted to make a version of what some people call Asian Ramen salad.  But, to me, it's more like a slaw so I'm going with that.  And, when my daughter and I tasted it, it was at that moment that I said, "Good Stuff."  Really, I should have said, "Great Stuff."  From the chicken to the mandarin oranges to the sweet and savory dressing to the crunchy sunflower seeds, this stuff was awesome!  Truly.  You'll see.

ASIAN CHICKEN SLAW
2 1/2 C cooked, shredded chicken
1 head cabbage, chopped
Two 11-ounce cans mandarin oranges, drained
6 green onions, sliced
3 large carrots, peeled and shredded
1/2 C shelled sunflower seeds (or more if you like)
2 packages chicken flavored Ramen noodles, crumbled 
2/3 C vegetable oil
1/2 C rice wine vinegar 
1/2 to 3/4 C brown sugar
1/2 C soy sauce
1 T sesame seeds
2 T cilantro, chopped
Sesame oil

Mix chicken flavor packets from the Ramen with the oil, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar (to taste), cilantro, soy sauce, and a few drops of sesame oil (to taste).  Add in the remaining ingredients except the Ramen and mix to coat.  Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.  If eating right away, the Ramen can be mixed in.  If you want the Ramen to remain crunchy for leftovers, leave the Ramen separate and add when eating.

2 comments:

  1. Every time Overboard is on I have to stop what I am doing and watch it! The,"slaw" sounds amazing, I may toss it with a little romaine too and make it a salad.
    thanks for sharing,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Jenny! And thank you. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete