Sunday, February 9, 2014

Keep it Simple


My husband and I have a tendency to go a little overboard in the kitchen sometimes.  One time we tried to make our own turducken.  It was disastrous.  Then there was the time we tried to make homemade sausage.  We broke a brand new meat grinder in the process.  And the sausage smelled like feet.  And, if I had to guess what feet tasted like, I'd say that sausage was it.

So, when I set out to cook the other night, I tackled a simpler meal.  Sweet & Spicy Garlic Chicken.  There are a lot of Pinterest pins out there for a Brown Sugar Garlic Chicken, which sounded pretty good.  However, the recipe seemed to be a hit or miss.  It's cooked at 500 degrees.  It's sticky and messy.  For some, the garlic burned.  So I decided I'd base my recipe off of that, minus the 500 degrees.  I also turned the brown sugar garlic mixture into a glaze instead of brown sugar piled onto the chicken and baked.  And, of course, I had to make it a little spicy.  And it turned out great!  Our son is a huge sugar fan, and he loved this chicken.  It was easy and tasty.  Good for keeping things simple.

SWEET & SPICY GARLIC CHICKEN
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 C brown sugar
6 T butter, melted
Seasoned salt (like Lawry's)
Black pepper
Garlic powder
1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Mix the brown sugar, butter, and cayenne pepper together.  Season both sides of the chicken with some seasoned salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.  Line a sheet pan with foil (this is a must). Spread half of the brown sugar mixture on one side of each piece of chicken.  Bake for about 16 minutes.

Take the chicken out of the oven and turn each piece over. Spread the remaining half of the brown sugar mixture over the chicken.  Spread two minced garlic cloves over the top of each piece of chicken.  Spoon any glaze from the foil back over the chicken.  Return to the oven and bake for an additional 12-14 minutes or until the chicken is done.  Spoon the glaze from the foil over the chicken and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment