Monday, February 3, 2014

Valentine's Day with Mr. Wright


My husband is my Mr. Wright.  No, it's not spelled wrong. It's our last name, and he is definitely right for me.  We have great conversations and laugh...a lot.  We have so much in common and get along so well.  We never even argue.  Hard to believe, I know.

I told you of a few of his pranks in last year's Valentine's Day post.  But, as I was thinking of this post, I remembered a few more.  One of his frequent pranks on me is to put tape or a rubber band on the kitchen sink sprayer.  You can imagine what happens when I turn the water on.  He also likes to stand outside the bathroom door (really close to the door) and yell when I come out.  Good thing I was coming out of the bathroom or else I might have wet myself.  He also knows I am very OCD and don't like drawers being slightly open.  One morning I got up after he had left early, and I went into the kitchen only to find every single drawer and cabinet all the way open.  Same story in the bathroom.

But those things are all in good fun, and I enjoy them.  He also brings me flowers when I'm sick or for no reason at all. He sends me sweet texts throughout the day.  He even recently bought me a dress for date night.  I am so lucky to have found him and am grateful that I get to spend my life with him.

So, for this special, romantic, funny man, I created a Valentine's Day meal out of this world.  Ribeye Steaks with Blue Cheese Butter & Walnuts, Parmesan Crusted Potatoes, and Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Tomatoes & Bacon. Now, the steak pictured is actually a 2 inch Chicago Cut Ribeye Chop, but you can use any size ribeyes instead. Hope you and your Valentine enjoy this meal!

RIBEYE STEAKS WITH BLUE CHEESE BUTTER & WALNUTS
Ribeye steaks (I made four, but you can do more or less)
2 T butter
Olive oil
1 stick butter, softened
2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons chopped Italian parsley
Salt & pepper
4 ounces walnuts, rough chopped

Mix the softened stick of butter, blue cheese, lemon juice, parsley and a dash of salt and pepper together in a bowl. Set aside.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  In an ovenproof skillet (preferably cast iron), drizzle in some olive oil and melt the 2 T butter on high.  Get the pan screaming hot.  (Be careful and wear an apron.  This will spatter and spit!)  Season the steaks generously on both sides with salt and pepper.  Put two steaks in and sear for about 2-3 minutes on each side. Don't try to move the steaks around.  When they are seared and browned, they will come loose on their own.

Put the whole pan with the steaks in the oven.  Cook for about 5-8 minutes, depending on desired doneness. Immediately spread some of the blue cheese butter mixture on the steaks and sprinkle on some walnuts.

*Rare is 125-130.  Medium is 130-135.  Well is 140-150.



PARMESAN CRUSTED POTATOES
4 baking potatoes, halved lengthwise
1/2 C shaved or shredded Parmesan cheese
Olive oil
1 packet Ranch dip mix
1/4 C butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Spread some olive oil around on a sheet pan.  Divide the Parmesan cheese into four piles the size of the potatoes.  Sprinkle the Ranch dip mix onto the cut side of each potato and then place the cut side down on top of the piles of cheese.  Brush the skin side of each potato with the butter.  Bake about 30-40 minutes or until they are tender.



CARAMELIZED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH TOMATOES & BACON
1 lb brussels sprouts, halved
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 lb bacon
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 C balsamic vinegar
Salt & pepper
2 T butter
1/2 C water
1/4 C crumbled feta cheese

Cook the bacon in a large skillet, drain, and crumble. Reserve the bacon grease.  Add the butter to the grease and put the brussels sprouts cut side down in the same skillet and cook on medium high heat until they start to brown on the bottom. Add in the garlic and grape tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes start to become tender.  Add in water and balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.  Cook and reduce the liquid until it's thickened and almost gone.  Remove from heat and stir in the bacon and the feta cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment