Sunday, March 30, 2014

Inside Out


If you know me, you know I like to wrap food in food or stuff food in food.  It's kind of a habit.  It's just so fun to bite into a little package and have a surprise inside.  Now, I know I've done stuffed chicken parmesan before.  But what about Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Parmesan Meatballs!  Let me tell you, these were so good that the four of us stood in the kitchen fighting over the little bits of Mozzarella that melted out of a few of these meatballs.  You know, that cheese that gets browned and crusty on the pan?  Yeah, that's the stuff. We all love browned cheese around here.  

So these meatballs are easy to put together and easy to cook.  And no frying involved!  You have an option here to buy chicken already ground, or you can do what I did and put a few chicken breasts in the food processor and grind them yourself.  The way I did it was a little sticky, but I didn't mind. The end result was worth it.  

Serve these with some homemade Marinara sauce.  Trust me, making your own sauce is easy and so much better than the stuff in a jar.  It requires a little chopping and some simmering on the stove.  My recipe for Marinara makes a lot, but it freezes really well in smaller containers.  

Mangia!

MOZZARELLA STUFFED CHICKEN PARMESAN MEATBALLS
1 lb ground chicken (you can grind your own)
1 egg
1/2 C shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 C Italian parsley, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T olive oil (plus more for drizzle)
1/4 C chopped onion
8 ounces Mozzarella cheese, cubed into about 20 cubes
Salt & pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Mix the chicken, egg, Parmesan, parsley, garlic, 2 T olive oil, onion, and salt & pepper together with your hands.  Take about 2 T of the mixture and flatten it slightly.  Place a cube of cheese on top and wrap the chicken around the cheese, forming it into a ball, making sure no cheese shows through.  Place them on a sheet pan and drizzle them with olive oil.  Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is done through and browned. Serve with homemade Marinara (click for recipe).

5 comments:

  1. I've made these before with turkey. I use string cheese, just cut into 4ths. So easy and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were easy. And I didn't even think of string cheese. Great suggestion, Linda!

      Delete
  2. Can you use shredded cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to add breadcrumbs for stability but otherwise this was a great recipe

    ReplyDelete