Sunday, March 9, 2014

Just Like the Fair


I usually only eat hot dogs about once a year.  It's not that I don't like them, it's just one of those foods I have to crave. Plus I'm never really at a ballpark or the fair to get them.  But lately I've had a craving for corndogs, or "Corny Dogs" as I've always called them.  Since I don't buy frozen meals, I had to figure this one out myself.

On the first batch we tried, the frank itself was cold and the batter was more like a tempura.  I wanted a hot frank inside a thick cornbread-like batter.  So we played with it, and we came up with a success.  The trick to getting the franks plump and warm is to boil them and then leave them in the hot water until you're ready to batter.  Then pat them dry and fry immediately.  And the trick to the batter is a 2 to 1 ratio of cornmeal and flour, meaning twice as much cornmeal.  The result?  I loved them so much that I actually stole my son's last couple of bites of his last corndog.  I know, I should be ashamed of myself.  But it was THAT GOOD!  

CORNDOGS
16 beef bun-length hot dogs
16 skewers or popsicle sticks
Peanut oil, for frying
Ketchup and/or mustard, for dipping

FOR THE BATTER:
2 C cornmeal
1 C flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 eggs
2 T bacon grease, melted
2 C buttermilk
Salt & pepper, to taste

Mix all of the batter ingredients together and set aside.  Bring a large pot of water to boil and add in the hot dogs.  Boil a couple of minutes to plump them up and then turn it off, leaving the hot dogs in the water.  

Preheat some peanut oil in a deep fryer or deep pot to 350 degrees.  Remove a hot dog from the water and pat dry. Stick the skewer in one end and then dip the dog in the batter, rolling it around to coat.  Put the corndog in the oil, holding it by the stick for a few seconds before releasing it all the way into the grease.  Cook 3-4 minutes, turning over halfway through, until golden brown.  Repeat for remaining corndogs.

5 comments:

  1. Having worked in the carnival business for years, I love corndogs! My downfall of carnival food...

    I have to ask, did you mean 12 (twelve) tsp of baking soda, or 1/2 tsp? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! It is supposed to be 1/2 tsp, and I fixed it. Thank you for catching that!

      Delete
  2. Cindy Hi!! Lovely little recipe for corn dogs. We don't have those in Greece. Lovely to know you are from the Lone Star State. I worked for Halliburton there in the oilfield millions of years ago. I'm retired now and enjoy cooking and blogging. cheers and have a good day. P.S. I love your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words! It's always interesting to know what people have and don't have in other countries. I'm so glad you enjoy my recipes, and I hope you love this one!

      Delete