Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Skillet Talk


Let's talk skillets.  A skillet is one of the most important tools you have in your kitchen.  Seriously.  I have 4 skillets and use at least one of them every day.  The two that I use most are a 13-inch stainless steel KitchenAid skillet and a 12-inch Lodge cast iron skillet.  I love them both.  My husband uses the cast iron more than the stainless steel because food just doesn't stick at all in it.

I actually have a pretty funny story about the cast iron skillet. We got it by mistake.  My husband bought me a food grinder once from a fancy kitchen store.  It broke the first time we used it trying to make homemade sausages (which smelled like feet and were awful), so I returned it to the store and got a store credit.  When I was shopping around to spend my credit, I happened upon a wok in a box.  I thought, I don't have a work, so why not.  I make a lot of Asian food anyway.  So I purchased the wok and a few other items and went on my merry way.  When I got home and opened the box, there was no wok in the box.  It was a cast iron skillet.  My husband said I should take it back, but I thought, huh, maybe I'd like the skillet better.  So we kept it and are so glad we did.  (I don't think that's any form of stealing, is it?  I mean, I sure hope it's not.  It's what was in the box.)

Anywho, here's a dish I made in that said skillet.  Chicken & Mushrooms with a Honey Mustard Cream Sauce.  This was so delicious!  Good thing I had that skillet.

CHICKEN & MUSHROOMS IN HONEY MUSTARD CREAM SAUCE
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 T butter
Olive oil
1 1/2 C flour
8 ounces mushrooms, halved or quartered
1 1/2 C half & half
1/4 C Asiago, Parmesan & Romano mixed cheeses
2 T Italian parsley, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 small red onion, chopped
1/2 C red wine
1 1/2 T dijon mustard
2 T honey
1/2 C chicken stock

In a large skillet on medium high heat, melt the butter and drizzle in some olive oil.  Dredge the chicken in the flour and place in the skillet.  Brown the chicken on both sides in the skillet.  Remove to a plate.  (The chicken won't be done yet, but it gets cooked more.)  Add the mushrooms, garlic, and onions to the same skillet and cook until tender (you may need to add a little more butter if the chicken absorbed too much).  Deglaze the pan with the wine and cook to reduce. Add in the chicken stock, half & half, dijon, honey, and cheese mixture.  Return the chicken to the skillet and lower the heat to medium low.  Cover and let it simmer for about 15 minutes or until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is done through.  Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley. Garnish with more cheese, if desired.

4 comments:

  1. Would white do just as well since it is poultry? I only have white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure would! I used red because that's all I had! LOL...Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. This is an amazing meal! Didn't have red so I used white zinfandel and had a mix of baby bella & shiitake mushrooms. Such a flavorful and simple weeknight meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm so glad you liked it. I often use substitutions like that too. And thank you for letting me know!

      Delete