Sunday, April 13, 2014

Chicken on a Stick


While in the Army, my husband spent some time stationed in Korea.  Although he wasn't very adventurous about trying out the cuisine there, one thing he did eat was something they called Chicken on a Stick.  I imagine the meat was marinated in something and then grilled.  He says, if you put chicken on a stick, it's good.  He's been asking for this for awhile, and I finally got around to trying it.

I wanted to make something similar to his beloved Chicken on a Stick, so I did a lot of Googling on this popular Korean street food.  While he can't remember if it tastes exactly the way he remembers, he can say that he loved these.  Enjoy!

CHICKEN ON A STICK
FOR THE MARINADE:
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 T brown sugar
3 T white wine
A pinch of salt & pepper

FOR THE SAUCE:
1/4 C soy sauce
1 C water
6 T white wine
1/2 C brown sugar
6 cloves garlic, minced
Few drops sesame oil
1 teaspoon ground ginger
Red chili flakes, to taste

Wooden or metal skewers
Vegetable oil, for cooking

Cut the chicken in about 2-inch long thin strips.  Mix the marinade ingredients together and add the chicken. Marinade for about 30 minutes in the fridge.

Put all of the sauce ingredients together in a small pot.  Bring to a boil and then boil for about 5 minutes.  Remove it from the heat and set aside.

Skewer the chicken by weaving it back and forth onto the skewers (look at the picture above).  In a large skillet or cast iron griddle, drizzle in a little vegetable oil.  Place the skewers in the pan (in batches if need be) and cook for about five minutes on medium high.  Pour in half of the sauce and cook for five minutes.  Turn the skewers over and pour in the remaining half of the sauce.  Cook an additional five minutes. The sauce gets thick and coats the chicken.  

6 comments:

  1. Ok, I just have to say that I have used this recipe a few times now and LOVE it!! (although I never have sesame oil on hand, so I have omitted it every time now) My sorority group was having a social with all foods on a stick. I went looking for something different on Pinterest and found this. It was a big hit and I got asked for the recipe several times that night. My 3 kids even love it and now cheer every time I tell them that I am making it for dinner. Great job, Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, and thank you so much for the kind words! I'm glad you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. Does the T stand for tablespoon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you use white wine vinegar or true white wine?

    ReplyDelete