Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Dip Meets Dinner



I don't think I've ever met such a huge queso fan as my husband.  He always tries the queso at new restaurants we visit.  He critiques each and every one.  He wants queso on chicken and on tacos and burritos.  Of course, his absolute favorite queso EVER is my Cadillac Queso.  (Gratuitous Plug!)  Click on the link.  I know you want to.  Please click on the link?

Anywho, he's also a huge pasta fan.  His favorite pasta is, of course, simple with just Parmesan cheese and butter.  And, while I've done a queso mac before, this one is quite different. Welcome to One Pot Chicken Spinach Queso Mac. And, yes, everything including the chicken all cooks in one pot. Skeptical?  Don't be.  It works!  And this pasta was our absolute favorite one pot wonder yet.  Enjoy!


CHICKEN SPINACH QUESO MAC
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 C frozen loose leaf spinach
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
8 ounces Velveeta, cubed
1 can RoTel (we used hot)
8 ounces cream cheese, cubed
1 lb penne pasta 
7 C chicken stock
1/2 C chopped onion
2 T cilantro, chopped
2 serrano peppers, diced
1/2 C Colby Jack (or Cheddar), cubed
2 cloves garlic, minced

NOTE:  I used a penne pasta in this recipe, which is a thicker pasta.  I added stock as I needed until the pasta was cooked just right, and that's where the 7 C of stock comes in.  If you are using a thinner pasta, you should start with 4 C of stock and add more as needed. 

Place all ingredients into a dutch oven or a large pot.  Bring to a boil.  When it starts boiling, reduce heat a little to where it's still bubbling.  Continue cooking and stirring frequently until the pasta is done and the sauce is thick, which could take anywhere from 15-25 minutes.

21 comments:

  1. Gees! makes my mouth water just by reading. I simply adore cheese of any kind. The more the % in fat the better. What about cholesterol though. I, have to stay as far as possible. Maybe during Easter. Thanks for the lovely recipes. My kind of food. Cheers and Happy Easter! God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! It was much appreciated in my house!

      Delete
  3. is there a way to do this in a crock pot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! I'm sure you could make the sauce in the crockpot. I'm not sure, however, if you can do the pasta in the crockpot or would have to cook it separately and add it to the crockpot later. If you try it, I'd love to know how it worked out!

      Delete
    2. You can add pasta to any crock pot recipe. Let the sauce rip during the day, when you get home, turn it to High, stir in your pasta. With penne I'd say 30 minutes. Check and stir every 10 though to get it to your preferred touch.

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Marla! That is good to know. I'll definitely try it.

      Delete
  4. I made this last night! I used 4 cups of chicken broth and 1 little package of chicken stock instead of the whole 7 cups of chicken stock. It turned out great and aaaamazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it, Lauren! I'm glad it worked with less liquid. I've made several varieties of this pasta and for me it took all of the 7 cups of liquid. Thank you for letting me know!

      Delete
  5. I tried this tonight. I would reccomend reducing the amount of liquid and not adding the pasta until there is 15 minutes remaining. My pasta was mushy and overcooked

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry it turned out that way for you, Katrina. May I ask what type of pasta you used? I have done several one-pot dinners this same way and the pasta turned out fine. I used penne in mine, and I guess since it's a thicker pasta, I didn't have that problem.

      Delete
  6. how many servings does this make? can I feed a hungry family of 5?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jessica! I fed my family of four (two teenagers) and we had some leftover. I think there would be plenty, especially if you serve it with bread and a side dish. Enjoy!

      Delete
  7. I'm from Canada, can you tell me what «1 can RoTel» is?
    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RoTel is a canned tomato product with diced tomatoes and mild green chiles. If you can't find them, you can substitute a 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes and a 4-ounce can of green chiles. Enjoy!

      Delete
  8. I made this tonight and it was amazing! Followed the recipe exactly and it turned out perfect! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I'm so glad you liked it, and thank you for letting me know!

      Delete
  9. I'm just wondering, has anybody TRIED this in the crockpot yet? I saw a question and some suggestions but no actual results from doing it.
    I'm putting together a cookbook file for my sons to take over cooking. Crockpot meals are my/our best bet. However, this looks so good and easy I will get them to try it stove-top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it, Jenny! I haven't heard yet of anyone trying it in the crockpot.

      Delete
  10. I was just looking at the 'before' photo and it looks like there is some diced onion in the pot that is not listed in the ingredients. I'm going to add some because it seems like it should be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Susie. I see that too! It's been awhile since I wrote that recipe, so I don't remember for sure. But I will change the recipe and add onion. Enjoy!

      Delete