Monday, April 21, 2014

Food Stylings


When I was younger, I loved to stop at Taco Bell for some Mexican eating.  (Song reference...if you know it, you are giving your age away.)  Now I very rarely ever eat fast food, and it's probably been quite a few years since I've eaten at Taco Bell.  Remember the Enchirito?  I used to love those. But I also liked the Steak Quesadillas and Mexican Pizzas.  

As I get older, though, I just really prefer home-cooked food. But, as I was browsing through Pinterest, I saw several pins of copycat Mexican Pizzas.  Taco Bell does have some interesting concepts when it comes to their food, but I'm not so sure anymore about their ingredients.  So I went in search and found the recipe all over the internet.  I also dug deeper and found copycat recipes for the Steak Quesadilla.   So I just had to try them.  And you know what?  I can't believe how close these tasted to the original and it was REAL ingredients!  You'll be amazed at how the sauce on the quesadilla tastes just like Taco Bell's and how close the meat is!  If you are a fan of Taco Bell or a fan of either the pizza or the quesadilla, you're going to be surprised too.  I did cheat a little and bought a jar of the Taco Bell taco sauce, but you can use your favorite.  Even Cholua would be good here.

COPYCAT TACO BELL MEXICAN PIZZA
FOR THE MEAT:
1 lb ground beef
1 teaspoon salt
1 T masa harina (corn flour)
2 teaspoons beef bouillon paste
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons cumin
3 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 C water

FOR THE PIZZA:
8 flour tortillas
1 C vegetable oil
2 C refried beans (I used homemade, but canned will do)
Taco sauce
Shredded cheddar cheese
Sliced black olives
Sliced green onions
Chopped tomatoes

Brown the ground beef and drain if necessary.  Add in the remaining meat ingredients and simmer about five minutes or until the liquid has evaporated some.  Keep warm.

Heat some vegetable oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Fry the tortillas about 30 seconds on each side or until they are browned and crispy.  Drain on paper towels.

Heat the beans up.  Preheat the broiler.  Spread four of the crispy tortillas with the beans.  Next divide the meat up among the four tortillas and spread over the beans.  Place another tortilla over the meat.  Spread the sauce over the second tortilla.  Sprinkle on some cheese, tomatoes, black olives, and green onions.  Place the pizzas on a sheet pan and melt the cheese under the broiler a couple of minutes.


COPYCAT TACO BELL STEAK QUESADILLAS
FOR THE SAUCE:
1/4 C mayonnaise
2 teaspoons chopped jalapeno slices (from the jar)
3 teaspoons of the jalapeno juice from the jar
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Cayenne pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt & pepper, to taste

FOR THE STEAK:
1 lb thin-cut steak (like flank or skirt or your choice)
Olive oil
Salt & pepper

FOR THE QUESADILLAS:
Four 10-inch flour tortillas
1 C shredded Cheddar cheese
1 C shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 slices American cheese

Heat some olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season the steaks with salt and pepper.  Brown and cook the steaks on both sides to your desired doneness.  Remove from the heat, cover, and let it rest before slicing thin.

Mix the sauce ingredients together.  You will need a large skillet, preferably flat, to cook the quesadillas since they won't be folded until they are done.  Take one tortilla and spread 1/4 of the sauce over half of the tortilla.  Place half of a slice of American cheese on the other half.  Put 1/4 C of both Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese over the American cheese.  Lay 1/4 of the steak slices over the cheese.  Cook on the griddle or skillet until the tortilla is browned on the bottom and the cheese is melted.  Repeat with the other three quesadillas.  Fold one half over of each tortilla over the other half and cut into wedges with a pizza cutter.

2 comments:

  1. Due to the time difference between the U.S. and Greece, I alway read your posts first thing in the morning while I have my first coffee. I simply love your recipes and they are exactly what I adore. Except of course for some ingredients which we cannot find locally. I am happy when you use flour tortillas instead of corn, because I know we can get them anywhere. Thanks for your beautiful posts. We are definitely the same. I like to write about my personal experiences. God bless

    ReplyDelete