Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Social Sandwich


I love social media, and I love interacting with so many of you. I love the feedback I get, and I always try to respond to people when they have questions, comments, and compliments.  Awhile back, one of my Twitter friends, @RnRManifesto, sent me a message saying they loved my Blackened Chicken with Cajun Fettucine Alfredo, and even went so far as to tell me I should try the leftover chicken on a sandwich.  So why not do just that!

So I made these awesome sandwiches with garlic mayo, smoked chipotle gouda cheese, and a few other things.  It was dynamite!  I actually made 8 chicken cutlets (a whole boneless breast cut in half to make two thinner breasts...watch this video on cutting chicken cutlets), and my son loves them.  He came home from school yesterday and ate a sandwich immediately, and then he came back at dinnertime and ate another one!  By the way, he's only 13 and he's already 5'9" tall and his shoes are a whopping size 13!  Isn't that crazy!  Anyway, if a 13-year-old boy likes it, it must be good, right?  And thank you, @RnRManifesto, for the suggestion!

BLACKENED CHICKEN SANDWICHES
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cutlets
2 T garlic powder
2 T onion powder
2 T dried thyme
2 T paprika
4 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
4 teaspoons cayenne
4 teaspoons oregano
1 stick butter

FOR THE SANDWICH:
Sandwich buns (I used Telera, which is similar to Bolillos)
Sliced cheese (I used smoked chipotle gouda)
Red leaf lettuce
Red onion, sliced
1 C mayonnaise
2 teaspoons garlic powder
Sliced Roma tomatoes
Butter

Mix the mayo and the 2 teaspoons garlic powder together and refrigerate until ready to use.  Mix the 2 T garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, paprika, salt, black pepper, cayenne, and oregano together.  Dredge the chicken cutlets in the mixture, making sure to coat both sides completely.

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Cook and sear each piece of chicken on both sides for 4-5 minutes per side or until the chicken is done through.  Hold them on a sheet pan in a 200 degree oven to keep warm until all the chicken is done.

Preheat the broiler.  Split each sandwich roll in half and spread butter on the insides.  Put them on a sheet pan and toast under the broiler.  Remove them from the oven.  Place a slice or two of cheese on top of each chicken breast. Place them under the broiler to melt and slightly brown the cheese.  

To assemble the sandwiches, spread the garlic mayo on the split buns and top with chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, and onion slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment