Monday, May 12, 2014

Derby Food


The Kentucky Derby was a couple of weekends ago.  While I have never attended or watched the Derby, I did look to Kentucky to see what kind of food they have in Kentucky and during the Derby.  And I found this...Burgoo.  What the heck is that, you ask?  Well, I'm uncertain as to what the name means or why they call it that, but I am certain of one thing. This stuff is good!  And they say, if a spoon won't stand up in it, then it isn't Burgoo.

So this said Burgoo is a kind of a stew with three types of meat, lots of veggies, and lots of flavor.  This stew is traditionally cooked all day in a pot, and sometimes it's an event where people come over and all contribute something different to the pot.  I made mine in the crockpot and cooked it all day and it turned out fabulous.  There's a bit of chopping required, but that's it.  Served with cornbread, this meal is great for a crowd.

BURGOO
1 lb beef stew meat, cubed
1 lb boneless country style pork ribs, cubed
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 C dried lima beans
1 onion, chopped
One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 C frozen corn kernels
1 C frozen green beans
2 small potatoes, cubed
2 carrots, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
12 ounces frozen sliced okra
Salt & pepper, to taste
Chicken stock (enough to cover)
2 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T apple cider vinegar
Hot sauce, to taste
Chili flake, to taste

Combine all of the ingredients except the okra in a large crockpot and cover with as much chicken stock as you can fit in it.  Cook on low for about 8-10 hours.  During the last two hours of cooking, add in the okra and test the lima beans and potatoes.  If the lima beans and potatoes aren't close to done, you can turn the crockpot to high for the remaining cook time. Serve with cornbread and extra hot sauce.

2 comments:

  1. I am from Kentucky, and I have to let you know that traditional Burgoo is made with mutton - which may be the single greatest meat around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see that in a lot of the recipes, but I live in a smaller town and that is hard to come by. I do also have a tendency to do things my own way and put my spin on it. If I ever do have the chance to get mutton, I will certainly try it!

      Delete