Sunday, May 11, 2014

Easy Cheesy


I've made Dorito Chicken before, which is yummy, but I wanted to try a recipe with Doritos using ground beef.  So I came up with the Dorito Taco Casserole.  It was super yummy!  My family loved it.  As my son was dishing his out, I noticed he had a jalapeno in his bowl, thinking, what 13 year old eats jalapenos.  He stopped me in my tracks and said, "no, Mom, I want that."  I said, "you eat jalapenos?  I didn't know that."  He pretty much said, "duh, Mom."  Well, now I know.

While there seems to be a lot of ingredients in this dish, it really only took about 15 minutes to put together and about 10 minutes in the oven.  And my coworkers were very happy to get the leftovers.  One girl I work with, Liz, always asks me what I cooked the night before and did I bring any.  She cracks me up.  You may not want to share with coworkers. But that's okay.  They don't have to know.

DORITO TACO CASSEROLE
1 lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 T masa harina (corn flour)
2 teaspoons beef bouillon paste (or powder)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons cumin
3 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 C water
One 15-ounce can Ranch Style Beans, undrained
1 can Rotel
One 11-ounce bag Doritos (I used nacho cheese, but any flavor you like will do)
2 C shredded cheddar cheese

OPTIONAL GARNISHES:
Jalapeno slices
Diced tomatoes
Sliced green onions
Sour cream

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Drizzle a little olive oil into a large skillet.  Cook the onion until tender.  Add in the ground beef and brown.  Add in all of the seasonings, spices, masa harina, beef bouillon and the water.  Cook and stir until well mixed and the water evaporates some.  Add the Rotel and Ranch Style Beans to the meat mixture and stir.  Remove from the heat.

Crush the Doritos and layer half of them in a greased 9 x 13 pan.  Spread half of the meat mixture over the chips.  Layer half of the cheese over the meat.  Repeat the layers and top with the remaining cheese.  Put the casserole in the oven for about 10 minutes to heat through.  Garnish with desired toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment