Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Meatball Love


If I had to choose which protein I like best, I'd probably say pork.  I LOVE bacon (it is one of the New Four Food Groups), pork chops, carnitas, anything made with pork.  And meatballs, who doesn't love meatballs (please don't answer that if you don't...rhetorical question).  

While this recipe certainly isn't all that traditional, it's kind of the way Swedish Meatballs are done here.  Traditionally they are a blend of ground beef and pork and are served with mashed potatoes and lingonberries, of all things.  I don't know anything about lingonberries, but I don't think it sounds like a flavor combination that I would enjoy.  So, lingonberries aside, the Swedish Meatballs I usually come across are served with a cream sauce over egg noodles.  

For my recipe, I used all pork, since that's what I had and I don't really enjoy last-minute trips to the store.  So pork is what we got.  And I have to tell you, my husband, John, said they were the best meatballs I had ever made and wanted to know what I did differently.  I'm telling you, it's the pork.  And it's darn tasty!  This makes a lot, so you can cut it in half if you're feeding less people...or not as hungry people.

SWEDISH MEATBALLS
FOR THE MEATBALLS:
2 lbs ground pork
1 onion, chopped
1 C Panko breadcrumbs
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 T Italian parsley, chopped
Olive oil

FOR THE SAUCE:
1/4 C flour
2 T butter
2 C beef stock
2 C sour cream
2 C heavy cream
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

TO SERVE:
1 lb egg noodles
2 T butter

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Mix all of the meatball ingredients together except the olive oil.  Shape into about 1-inch meatballs.  Put the meatballs on a sheet pan or glass casserole pan.  Drizzle them with some olive oil.  Cook for about 30-35 minutes or until they are done.

Meanwhile, cook the egg noodles according to directions. Drain the noodles, return them to the same pot, and add in the butter.  Toss to coat.  

For the sauce, melt the butter in a large skillet or pot over medium high heat.  Whisk in the flour.  Stir in the remaining sauce ingredients and bring to a simmer.  Reduce the heat slightly and continue cooking until the sauce is thickened. Mix the noodles, sauce, and meatballs together to serve.

6 comments:

  1. Yum! My favorite meat also. I don't understand why restaurants don't feature pork very often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true, Carolee. It's a shame!

      Delete
  2. Can you make it with Beef too? Would that taste ok too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure can, Rosa! You might want to add a little extra salt though since beef can be bland sometimes. Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. I would bet it's the pork and the nutmeg! Such a warm spice, I use it often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great spice. We use it in a lot of cream soups at work. Enjoy!

      Delete