Sunday, May 4, 2014

Salad Fun


It's not often that I get excited about a salad.  Don't get me wrong, I love salads.  But they are usually not "exciting."  Until now.  Y'all know I live in Texas and eat a lot of Tex-Mex, so it's no surprise that I will try and turn most anything into Tex-Mex flavors.  So of course I had to turn this salad into just that.  

This is Layered Chicken Taco Salad.  And I have to tell you, I loved this salad so much that I made it twice in one week!  It's that exciting!  I know you're jumping up and down and yelling like you just won the lottery.  I mean, look at the fresh veggies and shredded chicken.  Look at the cheese and Fritos.  Yes, I said Fritos.  Here, look at the top.


Doesn't that look good?  And the dressing, you ask?  Ah, the dressing.   It's my favorite creation.  Jalapeno & Avocado Ranch.  You're going to want to put that on everything.  And you're going to want this salad.  Maybe even twice in one week.

LAYERED CHICKEN TACO SALAD
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 head leaf lettuce, rinsed and chopped
1 1/2 C frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 1/2 C cooked pinto beans, drained (can be from a can)
1 large tomato, chopped
1 green onion, sliced
1 1/2 C shredded cheese (I used Colby Jack)
Fritos corn chips
Jalapeno slices, if desired
Salsa or hot sauce

FOR THE DRESSING:
1 packet Ranch dip mix
1 C mayonnaise
1/2 C buttermilk
1 C sour cream
1 T garlic powder
1 T onion powder
2 teaspoons lime juice
1-3 T jalapeno slices (the kind from a jar)
2 avocados

For the chicken, put them in a pot and cover with water. If desired, you can season the water with chicken bouillon, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder.  Boil until the chicken is cooked through. Cool and shred.

Place all of the dressing ingredients into a blender and process until smooth.

Layer half of the leaf lettuce in a bowl.  Layer the chicken, corn, beans, and tomatoes (all in single layers).  Layer the remaining lettuce on top, followed by the cheese.  Garnish with the salsa, green onions, and jalapenos.  If eating all of the salad right away, layer the Fritos on the salad.  If not eating it all right away, keep the Fritos separate and just put them in individual servings.  Serve with the dressing.

2 comments:

  1. Oh that's not fair!!! Your salad sounds great but we don't have the Ranch dip mix. Can we just skip? We wouldn't know the difference anyway... Have a great day and kiss Texas for us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can make your own mix. There are a lot of copycat recipes out there. I have done 1 T dried parsley, 1/2 teaspoon dill weed, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 2 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Enjoy!

      Delete