Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Coco Loco


So I'm not quite a fan of coconut.  I love the flavor of it, but I don't really like the texture of it.  I guess I'm really a texture person since I don't really like the texture of raw tomatoes either.  But, for some odd reason, I really love Coconut Shrimp.  When I set out to make these shrimp, I wanted the coconut flavor but without so much flaked coconut texture.  I did a little research and saw where other people ground up the coconut flakes in the food processor before coating the shrimp.  Bam!  Problem solved!  And the use of Panko breadcrumbs on these shrimp gave them a very delightful crunchy texture.  

When I called the family to dinner, they were like vultures attacking the shrimp.  Wait, I said.  Leave me some!  Well, they did.  I got three whole shrimp.  Ha ha.  Oh, well.  I take great pleasure in feeding my family great food, so it's okay. These are easy to make and the Spicy Orange Dipping Sauce was great too.  And darn tasty!

COCONUT SHRIMP
12 ounces jumbo shrimp, peeled & deveined, tails left on
1 C Panko breadcrumbs
1/2 C shredded flake coconut
1/2 C flour
2 eggs
Splash of water
Salt & pepper, to taste
Peanut oil, for frying

FOR THE SAUCE:
18 ounces orange marmalade
1/2 C water
2 serrano peppers, chopped (jalapenos will work too)
1 T vinegar

For the shrimp, put the coconut flakes in a food processor and pulse to make a fine powder.  Mix the coconut with the Panko breadcrumbs and season with salt & pepper.  Put the flour in a separate bowl.  Break the eggs into a third bowl and add in a splash of water and whisk.  Dip the shrimp into the flour, then into the egg mixture, then into the Panko mixture, pressing lightly to coat the shrimp evenly all over.  Place the shrimp in a single layer on a sheet pan.  Freeze them for about 30 minutes to set the coating.

Meanwhile, mix together the sauce ingredients in a small pot. Bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer for about 5-8 minutes or until thickened and reduced.  You can chill it or serve it warm.

Preheat some peanut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Fry the shrimp in the oil for about 2-3 minutes per side or until done through and crispy outside.  Drain on paper towels.  Serve the shrimp with the sauce.

2 comments:

  1. I love anything coconut!! And with shrimp? This must be awesome!! Will have to try it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete