Sunday, June 22, 2014

Dinner on the Fly


So the other day I wanted to try a recipe for Garlic Noodles (which is now my most favorite thing to eat ever), but I wanted to do something meaty for the boys in my house. They both (son and husband) love anything Asian.  Since the noodles are Vietnamese inspired, I thought I'd throw together a quick Teriyaki Chicken.  I did a little recipe research, and I found that making teriyaki sauce from scratch isn't hard at all. The chicken has a light dusting of cornstarch, a quick fry in peanut oil, and then gets dipped in this very yummy sauce. While three of us in the house only got a few pieces each of this, my son happily devoured every last bit of chicken. Quick, easy, and darn tasty!

TERIYAKI CHICKEN
3 large bonless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
About 1 C cornstarch
Peanut oil, for frying

FOR THE SAUCE:
2 T cornstarch
1/2 C soy sauce
1/4 C water
2 T rice wine vinegar
1 C brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons grated ginger

GARNISH:
Sesame seeds
Sliced green onions

For the sauce, put all of the ingredients into a small pot and whisk.  Cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat.

Put the chicken pieces into a large zipper bag.  Pour in about 1 C cornstarch.  Close the bag and shake to coat the chicken.  Preheat some peanut oil in a large skillet.  Fry the chicken in batches for about 5 minutes per batch or until the chicken is done through.  Drain them on a paper towel.  Put the chicken into a large bowl and pour the sauce over the chicken.  Gently stir to coat.  Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment