Monday, June 16, 2014

Double Crunch Delicious


Y'all know I'm a fan of Pinterest.  I get a lot of inspiration there.  Recently I came across a recipe for Double Crunch Honey Garlic Chicken over at Rock Recipes.  It seems it is their most popular recipe.  I had to try it!  But I had to make a few changes to make this recipe work for me.

First off, they use an egg wash to dip their chicken in before battering.  Well, being from the South, we always dip chicken in buttermilk before frying, sometimes even soaking it for a while in the buttermilk first.  So that was the first change.  The second change I made was the glaze.  I followed the directions for their honey/soy/garlic glaze, but something strange happened.  I made the glaze as directed, but as it cooled slightly while it waited on the chicken to fry, it turned almost a candy-like solid.  So I had to redo the glaze and added water to thin it out and cooked it way less time.  I also didn't use some of the seasonings they suggested since, for me, ginger and nutmeg with sage just don't go together. 

The result?  My son ate the majority of four whole chicken breasts!  It was pretty darn tasty.  I hope you enjoy my version!

DOUBLE CRUNCH HONEY GARLIC CHICKEN TENDERS
As adapted from Rock Recipes
FOR THE CHICKEN:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
2 1/2 C flour
Seasoned salt (like Lawry's)
Black pepper
Garlic powder
About 1 C buttermilk
Peanut oil, for frying

FOR THE GLAZE:
4 cloves garlic, minced
12-ounce jar of honey
1/4 C soy sauce
Red chili flake, to taste
1/2 C water

For the chicken, mix together the flour, some seasoned salt, black pepper, and some garlic powder.  Preheat some peanut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Pour about 1 C of buttermilk into a bowl.  Dip the chicken strips into the buttermilk, into the flour mixture, back into the buttermilk, and back into the flour mixture.  Fry the chicken in batches until crispy and golden brown and done through.  Keep them warm on a sheet pan in a 200 degree oven until they are all fried.

Meanwhile, put all of the glaze ingredients into a small pot and bring to a rolling boil.  Cook for about 5 minutes longer to thicken.  When the chicken is done, place the chicken in a bowl and pour the glaze over and stir or shake to coat.

1 comment: